Trip Report - Barcelona/Madrid

Nov 6th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Sandy

Trip Report - Barcelona/Madrid

Barcelona - Stayed at H10 Gravina. Room was miniscule, but very clean and great bathroom; breakfast was FABULOUS. Overall impressions of BCN - city was absolutely PACKED. No available hotel rooms, kids roaming the streets because all hostels were full. DON'T try to wing it without reservations. I grew up in NYC and have never seen such a mass of humanity as I saw in Barcelona. Continues throughout the night - streets packed even at 2 AM. Had to wait at every Gaudi sight except Sagrada Familia. One of the most beautiful cities in the world, but not my favorite, for some reason. Was surprised at how spread out many of the sights were. Particularly enjoyed Miro museum (Montjuic), Opera (ordered tickets in July) and Casa Mila/Casa Battlo. Parc Guell is breathtaking - one of the highlights of the trip for me. Purchased some great pottery pieces at El Cortes Ingles. (They had a really nice, reasonable restaurant, too! Top floor) I felt as safe as in any other big city but did not carry a purse - used a money belt and body bag. I had problems with the food - I think it was the quantity of oil used versus the low fat diet of the US.

Nov 6th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Sandy

Had booked Aerocity to pick me up at the Madrid airport - was NOT a good experience. It took them 45 minutes and 4 phone calls before they picked me up. Would NOT do this again. Stayed at Hotel Arosa (Best Western) on Gran Via. A bargain in my opinion - under 70 Euros/night for a single including breakfast - this is a 4 star hotel. 1/2 block off Gran Via; lots of internet places nearby! Took tourist bus around town, but also took 1/2 day tour (which was worth it). Madrid reminded me of NY - big city, great museums - particularly enjoyed going to Reina Sofia to see Guernica. YOu can get a ticket to all 3 museums which gives you 25% off. Difficult to find a place to eat dinner before 9 PM! Siesta is serious here in contrast to Barcelona - many of the shops CLOSE between 1 and 4 or 4:30. Used hotel shuttle (6 euros!) to get back to airport - allow lots of time at the Madrid airport! Feel free to post with any questions...

Nov 7th, 2002, 02:46 AM
kite

Sandy, thanks for your report. I read especially Barcelona part with interest because I will be there for 28DEC-01JAN. I have been to Barcelona before and know you could encounter hotel full booking situation at anytime of a year. That's because if it's not the tourist seasons, they also have lots of fairs, congresses when there are less tourists.

Nov 7th, 2002, 06:43 AM
spanish

Sandy..can you tell me how much your hotel was? and where is H10 Gravina located..sorry but is H10 a room number or part of the hotel name?

Nov 7th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Sandy

The hotel was about 120 euros/night including tax - however, there was a trade show in town which often elevates prices. That was for a single. H10 is a hotel chain in Spain and is part of the name

Search this Thread