Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Trip Itinerary Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trip-itinerary-questions-876343/)

rpinnell Feb 2nd, 2011 07:31 PM

Trip Itinerary Questions

I was curious as to what people thought of my itinerary and if there are any changes that should be made. Are there any places I am spending too little/much time?

Amsterdam 4 nights
Paris 4 nights (possible day trip to versailles)
Interlaken, Switzerland 3 nights
Venice 3 nights
Cinque Terra 3 nights
Florence 4 nights (possible day trip)
Rome 5 nights (day trip to pompeii)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

kybourbon Feb 2nd, 2011 08:33 PM

What time of year is your trip?

JackDarcy Feb 3rd, 2011 12:28 AM

According to me 3 nights is sufficient for Amsterdam and 5 nights for Paris because Paris is beautiful place.

rpinnell Feb 3rd, 2011 04:58 AM

Sorry I will be leaving April 27 and returning May 24. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

ira Feb 3rd, 2011 07:20 AM

Hi rp,

I'm exhausted - 7 major cities?

You can figure on losing about 1/2 day each time you change hotels. That's about 4 days lost to travel.

Have you checked the train schedules? It's not going to be easy sleeping on trains.

((I))

bardo1 Feb 3rd, 2011 08:20 AM

<i>Are there any places I am spending too little/much time?</i>

Of course it's subjective, but, yes it needs adjustment.

Here's my take on how it should be more balanced (for instance, Rome is 10x the size and population than Florence and has 10X as many "must see" sights, yet you have allocated roughly equal time in them).

Anyway, my 2 cents:

<b>Amsterdam 3 nights</b>

<b>Paris 5 nights</b> (No day trip to Versailles, I would only recommend if someone was staying in Paris 7 nights. Honestly, even 7 nights only seeing Paris isn't enough)

<b>Interlaken, Switzerland 3 nights

Venice 3 nights

Cinque Terra 2 nights

Florence 3 nights</b> (possible day trip)

<b>Rome 7 nights</b> (day trip to Pompeii - this is a VERY long day, but people do it all the time. Plan on leaving the Rome train station at 8:00 am and returning to Rome train station in the early evening.)

bardo1 Feb 3rd, 2011 08:22 AM

Also, I assume of course you are flying into Amsterdam and flying home from Rome, correct?

MFNYC Feb 3rd, 2011 09:09 AM

I agree with the others to drop a day from Amsterdam and possible Florence (depending on your interests), and add the days to Paris and Rome. I haven't been to CT so I can't comment on that, but I can say that big cities like Paris and Rome can easily keep you busy for a week. 3 full days is generally enough for smaller, compact cities like Amsterdam, Florence and Venice.

Christina Feb 3rd, 2011 09:11 AM

3 days in Amsterdam was plenty for me, I will agree with that.

haven't been there but 3 nights in CT seems excessive, not sure why you want to spend so much time there