Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip is in 3 wks, need help picking hotel...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had already picked out which hotel we were gonna stay at in Paris (and we've booked it). But now, we're extending our visit to the city for four more days instead of going south as we first thought. And, we would like to stay in a different hotel instead of extending the one we are at...well just because.

Anyways, here are the following hotels which are available and fit our budget...(sorta, we're kinda looking for anything under 100 E)

Hotel de l'Exposition: 75 E/ 80 E for double
Hotel Eugene: 94 E (single) facing street
Hotel College de France: 97 E for double
Hotel Cujas Pantheon: 94 E , double
Port Royal Hotel:...no word yet from them but has anyone stayed here?

So please, if anyone has suggestion for the listed hotels, please respond. Trip is in three weeks and well, I'll admit, I'm a little panicked.

Thanks!
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 05:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless you ahve to stay in paris, why not go to dijon- some great ideas on another thread [or two] at the moment. alternaively, why not stay just outside Paris- the loire, versailles???
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 05:57 AM

From what I've read, Port Royal is a royal pain to book. I think they want a deposit and don't take credit cards.

You might have difficulty getting into Hotel du College de France inside of 3 weeks (popular). But if you could, that would be a very good one.

What's Hotel Eugene? Pagesjaunes has one in the 11th (247 bd Voltaire) and one in the 10th (12 rue Château d'Eau).
The rate for a single at the 11th location is only 66E so that must not be it. If they're charging you 94E, you need to look at their website:
http://www.hotel-prince-eugene.com/
The other one in the 10th looks less inviting and not like it w/b charging 94E.

There are two Hotel de l'Exposition - one in the 15th and one in the 10th. The one in the 15th is near Place St Charles, a pleasant area but a bit off-sides. The other one is on blvd Magenta, but just off Place de la Republique (good transp.connections).

Hotel Cujas Pantheon would be a good choice, location-wise. Their website says 'recently renovated'.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 06:04 AM

Are you talking about the Hotel du Prince Eugene? I haven't stayed there, but I've walked passed it many, many times and I like the location:

http://www.123france.com/123/en/hotel.php?id_hot=594

It's very reasonable for rates and I would probably give it a whirl if it fit my plans.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 06:12 AM

Or make that "past"...
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Since you'll be in Paris, you could wait and walk around looking at (these or other) hotels and pick your 2nd one at that time?
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 10:47 AM

You might want to try the Hotel Suez on the Boulevard San Michel. It is a clean, reasonably-priced hotel in a great location, near the Luxembourg Gardens and Sarbonne.They probably have a website.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 11:39 AM

I agree with annhig who will go to Dijon someday ;-)
And you wanted to go to Burgundy in your other postings, I remember well answering you about car rentals in Dijon...
Not anymore?
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

No,we couldn't go to Dijon. Our plans have changed and our budget is quickly dwindling.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 01:02 PM

I recognise that money may be short - but i reckon that getting out of Paris itself will save you money, as lodgings should be a lot cheaper [perhaps not in versailles, but definitely along the loire]. you can get to Blois on a fast train in about an hour and have loads to do. Ditto Dijon though I would guess that the train journey is longer.
if you are determined on paris, why not try an apartment? they can be a lot cheaper. If you found a really good one, could you cancel your hotel booking, or have you pre-paid?
There are loads of threads about paris apartments.
Good luck!
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

I really don't want to cancel the hotel we have booked. It was such a trial to get it in the first place and to go through all that just to cancel...well, my nerves couldn't take it. And the apartment thing, if I had known weeks in advance, I would have been all for it, but now its like chasing a bunny into a dark, unending hole. I don't even want to start looking in that direction.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Old Oct 9th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

WOHOO!!! Port Royal answered. One double for 78,50 with bathroom in room. Thanks guys for your help. Whew, that was a close one!
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Hi, msrani - well done. that must be a relief. It looks a good price. Hope you have a wonderful time - don't forget to post us all when you get back with your trip report!