Trip Ideas -- England to Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying in to London at the end of July for a 7-day cruise on the QE2 leaving from and returning to Southampton, but the only way to book our air flights was to fly back from Hamburg 4 days after the end of our cruise. Any tips/ideas for travel from Southampton to Hamburg over a 4-day period? Rail passes? Sights to see in between? How much time to allow for the trip? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:20 AM

While I'm perplexed as to why you had to book return from Hamburg 4 days after the cruise, that's not your question. I'd take the train back to London, and Eurostar to Brussels where I'd transfer for short train ride to Brugge. Spend couple of days there then go to Antwerp or Ghent for couple of days. Head to Hamburg after that.

Having said that, I've not been to Hamburg, so do some research and see if there's anything that interest you. If so, spend couple of days there instead of Antwerp or Ghent - but I'd highly recommend sticking with Brugge - it's one of the most pleasant cities in Europe IMO.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:05 AM
hsv

Honestly I think Hamburg offers enough to keep you entertained for at least two days - and if I was going there during summer I'd consider myself lucky and happily spend 3 days including an excursion to Luebeck.
With half a day of travel between Southamton and HAM, there's not much room in your itinerary that you' have to fill.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:10 AM

If you do take the Eurostar to Brussels and are going on to Germany via Cologne be sure to ask about the ABS All Belgian Stations fare that is free with most if not all Eurostar tickets (at least those sold in US not positive about UK) and then you can go within 48 hours of your Eurostar arrival to any Belgian station, such as Aachen or just before it and then just pay the piddling to go onto Cologne - detour down to the Rhine Valley for a day or two or head up to Hamburg via Munster, a nice town for a one day stop.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:06 PM

> head up to Hamburg via Munster, a nice town for a one day stop.

Careful there PalenQ!
There is Münster, which is a stop on the mainline from Cologne to Hamburg and an interesting city to visit, indeed; and then there is Munster, closer to Hamburg, a small town whose only claim to fame is a big tank exercise area of the German army. Unfortunately it is, too, on the way from Cologne to Hamburg.

Sometimes the umlauts should NOT be left out or you are in for a very boring day
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:47 PM

Rather than traipsing up to London to get the Eurostar, you might be better off flying from Southampton to Paris, Brussels or one of the German cities you can reach from that airport (unfortunately not Hamburg). Then after your three or four days wherever, get the train to Hamburg.

Here's a list of destinations from Southampton airport: http://www.flightmapping.com/UK/Sout...to-Europe.html
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:15 PM

highwall - i'm too lazy to learn how to make umlauts on my keyboard so i should write Muenster??? ue takes place of umlauted u, like the Fuessen?
Old May 27th, 2007, 12:35 AM
hsv

Pal,

yes indeed.

Every "Umlaut" can be replaced by the respective vocal followed by an "e".
I.e.:

"ä" = "ae"
"ö" = "oe"
"ü" = "ue"

If people would follow this policy it would help to avoid a whole lot of confusion.