Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

help with Prague Berlin itinerary..possibly add a place

Old Oct 1st, 2017, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we are flying into Prague and out of Berlin. We have 10 nights. I think 3-4 nights Prague and then 4 nights Berlin.
I have some room to add a place ..or should I do some day trips and then have 5 nights each place?

Wondering about adding in Vienna? or someplace in Germany?

Open to any and all suggestions. we can fly or take trains.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 02:38 PM

Dresden could fit the bill - nice Florence on the Elbe they call it - city and great base for exploring Saxon Switzerland just south of it - to me one of Europe's wonderful if less well known river valleys:

https://www.google.com/search?q=saxo...w=1745&bih=885

And Meissen very close to Dresden is a restored gem and home to the famous Meissen ceramics - visit the factory and museum.

Vienna would be a major detour but Dresden is smack in the middle of direct Prague-Berlin rail route.

Anyway book trains in advance for nice discounts- www.bahn.de/en for those involving Germany - www.seat61.com has sage advice on booking your own discounted train tickets online- general info on trains also www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Trains better than cars-faster and in those cities no need for car and a hassle having one. Plus renting in one country and returning in another predatorily high drop-off rates usually for doing so. With discounted train tickets trains are even cheaper than the cost of petrol when driving I'd think.

Dresden:
https://www.google.com/search?q=dres...w=1745&bih=885

Note the Prague-Berlin train tracks right thru Saxon Switzerland - sit on east side for best views. If time do a leisurely day trip there from Dresden by train or boat or a combo of both or just ogle it from the train before Dresden.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 05:48 PM

I agree that Dresden would be a good place to stop over for a couple of days. It's directly on the train route from Prague to Berlin, and depending on when you are going, has some nice markets.

Another thing to consider to taking a day trip from Prague to somewhere like Kutna Hora or Cesky Krumlov, or a day trip from Berlin to Potsdam.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 07:11 PM

I did Prague- Dresden - Berlin..but I had 13 nights

10 nights is 9 days..traveling between places takes half a day.
I would split the time between Prague(4) and Berlin (5)and plan day trips
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 09:56 PM

Definitely go to cesky krumlov
Easy day trip from Prague by rail
Very beautiful and compact

Berlin is great
I like it better than Prague although Prague has beAutiful architecture ...Prague I found shabby

Go to Potsdam from Berlin...easy trip by train ...then get a tour from the railway station for the day...don't go on Monday ...lots of things closed

We stayed in aDina apartment hotel in Berlin in hackershermarkt
Very good location near market place and railway station
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 11:26 PM
kja

It depends on what you want to see and experience!

FWIW, I think 4 nights in Prague a bare minimum, and 5 nights in Berlin a bare minimum. Bu that's just me. I would encourage you to look at what YOU want to see/do, and figure out what works for you.

Remember that you can always add a day trip if you find that you are ready too move on....
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 12:40 AM

Prague - 4 nights
Dresden - 2 nights
Berlin - 4 nights

It is only about 2 hours between Dresden-Berlin and Prague- Dresden, and the route between them all is a direct north/south line.

That means you can be in the next city well before lunch.

It would be a shame to miss Dresden if the focus of your vacation was Prague and Berlin and you were looking for one other place to visit.
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 04:56 AM

Dresden yes makes total sense.
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 07:14 AM

Yes, 4-2-4 works too.
The train does take a couple of hours, but changing hotels and getting to and from stations adds another couple of hours at least .

I found so much to see in Berlin -depend on one's interest, of course -
that 3 days seems a bit short.
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 09:48 AM

there are no bare minimums that should be applied to everyone-I was satiated with Prague after 3 days - others may say 5 -some may say 2- Berlin is bigger and sites farther removed and more of them - needs longer but Prague sites are in compact area.

4-2-4 is fine as is 4-1-5 - not sure you'd want two nights in Dresden.
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 04:51 PM
kja

@ PalenQ: You are absolutely right that there are no bare minimums that should be applied to everyone. That's why I added, "But that's just me" and went on to encourage the OP to determine what would work FOR THEM. By the same logic, there is no way that anyone can say what anyone else would consider "fine."
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 05:42 AM

Too bad that with everything booked in stone these days that one cannot be more spontaneous -like in old days when train fares were static and it was hard to book hotels much in advance and every train station had a hotel booking office - then one could travel as seen fit once there not plan in concrete weeks in advance.
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 11:12 AM

Again for something a bit different than big tourist cities like Prague and Berlin and to some extent Dresden - stay 2 nights -one half-day enough for me anyway to see Dresden's relatively few main sights (unless commie town planning architecture in much of the town turns you on!) spend the next day say visiting Saxon Switzerland or Meissen - places way different from big tourist meccas. Not sure everyone would find most of two days in Dresden itself that interesting as opposed to another day spent in Prague or especially Berlin.