Trip Around Europe Dec 2009

Old Jun 25th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Trip Around Europe Dec 2009

Hello....
I really appreciate any advise or tip for my tour around Europe for Dec 2009.
I will travel with my husband around Europe for 10 days. Now, we are trying to do tentative.

we will start from Paris on 13/Dec 2009, since we are already in Paris.
Country of interest
-Spain ( madrid, Barcelona)
- Monaco (monte Carlo)
-Italy ( Venice, Rome, Pisa)
-switzerland
-Jerman

1) which country should be visited first?
2) which country can be drop from list if we don't have enough time?
3) what is the best way (cheap) to travel around listed country?

Thank you for kind attention!

~loving is sharing~
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 01:48 PM

People will surely tell you that you need to think about what YOU would like to see, what your interests are, etc. To help, read these articles to get you thinking about what you would like to get out of your trip to Europe. By the way, depending on what kind of traveller you are, 10 days is really not a lot of time. You could easily spend 10 days in Paris, for example, unless you just want to breeze through Europe.

Read this: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/itin.htm
and this: http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/itinplan.htm
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 02:03 PM

With 10 days pick 2 locations 3 TOPS. You will lose 1/2 a day everytime you change locations. And by locations I mean cities, not countries. In 10 days you could barely do Venice, Florence and Rome (assuming you already live in Paris). If Paris is included you could do Paris, fly to Venice and then do either Florence or Rome...

Enjoy!
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 02:33 PM

I agree with the other posters that you need to focus. That said, I'll tell you that I was in Rome last December and thought it was a perfect time of year to be there. We didn't experience any of the crowds you read about in guide books or see the gypsies or pick-pockets. The weather was cool, but not too cool to walk and see everything that we wanted. As an added benefit, all of the churches were dressed up for Christmas and it was fun to see all of the different nativity scenes. (The vatican's was not the fanciest!)

We then travelled south to Sorrento and had a wonderful time by the water. It wasn't beach weather, but it was perfect for exploring.

Good luck!
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM

Ten days is a very short time and you are contemplating seeing 6 countries (and two cities in Spain to boot)? It will take the whole day to get from Paris to Spain, whether you spend it on the train or packing up, going to the airport, flying, getting into the city, etc. Spain to Monaco, another full or almost full day. Monaco to Rome, Venice, and Pisa, well that's a good 4-5 days there; Pisa to Switzerland, another day; Switzerland to Germany, another day....oops, time's up and you haven't done anything but move from one place to another. Vacation over and you've spent it packing, unpacking, and sitting on modes of transportation.

Pick two places, preferably ones that are not too far apart, and slow down and do things there.

If it were me at that time of year I'd choose Rome and Tuscany or Umbria. Where are you flying home from?
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your reply. I really appreciate your opinion. I will fly from Paris. So listed country is just place of interest, we are not planning to visit all,just need opinion from people who already have experienced to advise which country should we go during Dec 2009?

What we would like to see? just a normal top place of attraction in the recommended country.

Thanks a lot....it really help me to do my planning.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 01:26 PM

Have a bit of a think about the weather in December. What country are you from? If you are not used to very cold weather, you might not enjoy being in a cold, snowy, rainy, foggy place. We are from a country that generally has warm weather and spent time in December in northern France and didn't enjoy it. It was too cold outside to enjoy.

The southern places on your list may have better weather, such as Monaco and Barcelona etc, the more northern places like Switzerland and Venice will be cold, cold, cold. Then again, you may want to go skiing. But if it's general sightseeing you want, pick somewhere where you won't be miserable stepping out the door.

You can check historial weather averages on www.wunderground.com

Kay
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 03:41 AM

Europe in december is wonderful. You get to see the chritsmas markets and best of all here are very few tourists. it is no trouble at all to rug up and explore, and no,you definitely won't be miserable outdoors.