Trieste...what's wrong with it???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every piece of travel lit ignores Trieste. We're staying nearby in early Oct. Is there something wrong with Trieste?
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Neopolitan

A number of us have posted here in the past about our wonderful stays in Trieste.
It isn't so touristy and doesn't have a lot of famous sites -- maybe those things are what really add to its charms. Meanwhile it has one of the most impressive main squares in all of Europe.

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 06:23 PM
rex

Seemed like it would be enticing enough to me, when I posted this - - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1319580 - - though I never did make that day trip there.

And I realize that it's a five year old post, but the link to the NYTimes magazine article is still valid.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Probably nothing at all wrong with it. It's just not - yet - on the typical tourist trail. Neither is Bologna, oddly enough, even though it's in between Florence and Venice.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 06:42 PM

Trieste is beautiful but it is out of the way for most tourist. It does have a problem with a very strong wind at times. I would suggest you go to Google and do a search for Trieste clay. It is a city with quite a historical background, a city that has been thrown this way and that way depending on the politics during various periods. Learning about the history of Trieste will help you enjoy your visit.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 06:17 AM

I have been in Triesta for business, and while the Piazza is lovely, much of town is over run with traffic, has high air pollution, and is incredibly noisy. Yes the Bura wind is brutal when its blowing. If you go up into the hill towns nearby in Italy or Slovenia you will see that people hold down their roof tiles with big rocks. But this is the home of Illy coffee, the best in the world as far as I am concerned and makes a good base to see Lipica and Skocian Cave, if you don't want to stay in Slovenia.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Pausanias

The link will takes you to the Amazon site for Jan Morris' recent book on Trieste. Your library probably has it.

http://tinyurl.com/qkakr

Old Sep 30th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your help!

Claytonian
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 11:12 AM

I've never been there, but my "Italian" daughter loved it and said she would go again.