Notices

Trieste

Jul 9th, 2002, 05:06 PM
myra

Trieste

Hi, Will be in Trieste Italy. How long a drive or train ride to Ljubjana? Can you see the city in one day? Thanks Myra

Jul 9th, 2002, 11:40 PM
Daniel

The connections between Trieste and Ljubljana are not good enough for a day trip by train.

There is a InterCity train dep 10.36, arr 13.40.

The road is much shorter. I guess only an hour or so to drive. I don´t know about buses, sorry.

Both the railway and highway pass near the Postojna Caves (Postojnska jama), with stalagmites and stalactites and blind salamanders. One of the best caves in Europe.

Ljubljana is a very nice capital, with a small castle and some art noveau buildings, beautiful 19-century houses along the river and outdoor cafes in the city centre. Like Trieste, it was an Austrian city until WW1.

An easier day trip to Slovenia is probably the very beautiful Venetian town of Piran on the coast.

Jul 10th, 2002, 02:23 AM
Sia

Myra-
Was just in Trieste this past weekend for the first time; Miramare castle is beautiful and worth an hour or two, downtown Trieste's biggest piazza was very nice (compared to St Mark's sq in my guide book), but the castello in town was not worth much. There is some great shopping around the main piazza (I can't remember the name right now). Definately a one day trip.
Have been to Ljubjana too, but not in a row. Ciao, have fun
Sia

Search this Thread