Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Trier to Maastricht - Good Scenery on Train Ride?

Trier to Maastricht - Good Scenery on Train Ride?

Aug 27th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Trier to Maastricht - Good Scenery on Train Ride?

Trier to Maastricht and then Amsterdam might be a leg on the Germany/Netherlands trip I'm planning. I notice on the bahn.de site that there is a change in Luxembourg. I don't mind a longish train ride, or even a change or two - I've been known to take substantial detours just to see more. How's the scenery on this route - pastoral, hills, industrial? Any information and opinions appreciated. Thanks!
Aug 27th, 2003, 12:34 PM

At various times in the last 5 years I've driven from Trier to Luxembourg to Vianden to Liege. It's quite beautiful. You're in the Ardennes forest so you're in huge rolling hills covered with trees.

Luxembourg is a beautiful city and doesn't see much action on the forum. I liked it so much I went back a second time. If things work out I'll make a day trip there with my Dad next spring.

If you get a change schedule a few hours layover there. You can see the cathedral downtown, gaze down into the river valley below the main city and maybe walk through the old fortifications built into the hillside.
Aug 28th, 2003, 09:30 AM

dovima,

indytravel is certainly correct about Luxembourg City. It is a beautiful city with very few tourists (BONUS!!!)

I'm sure the train ride through Luxembourg into Belguim will have some great scenery, but I think you will miss something very much worth seeing.

The Ardennes area is where much of the Battle of the Bulge was fought in WWll. It was the largest land battle in history and a major turning point in the war in Europe. There are many museums, battle sights, graveyards, etc.

Somehow, I recommend a stop somewhere in the area to take a look at some great history.

Curious
Aug 28th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, indytravel and curious.
My vacation will be limited to about 8 days this time, and it will be in early December. I'd like to take another more leisurely trip and do some driving through Belguim and southern Holland. For now, I'm contenting myself with a few days in Germany, a few days in Amsterdam, and a nice train ride in between. I'm hoping there might be a little snow on the hills and trees.
I've heard that the Ardennes forest is the northernmost tip of the Black Forest - is that true?

Search this Thread