Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Trier Germany to switzerland by car (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trier-germany-to-switzerland-by-car-275301/)

alex Nov 22nd, 2002 07:46 PM

Trier Germany to switzerland by car

I am thinking about extending my stay for around 4 days to take in switzerland. I will be driving from trier germany and ultimately have to end up back in paris for my flight.<BR><BR>What itinerary would be reasonable? For example which towns are the most interesting luzern, zermatt, montreux, zurich, bern, basel? I want to not stray too far since I need to get back to Paris ultimately.<BR><BR>Also I am leaving tomorrow so it will be end of November beginning of December when I reach switzerland. Is driving a bad idea? I notice from the temperatures that it is a good 5-10 degrees cooler than where I will be before. Is ski season going to make it impossible to book anywhere? And, finally any cute, quaint towns, bed and breakfasts that anyone can recommend would be appreciated.

Michelle Nov 22nd, 2002 08:25 PM

Dear Alex: <BR>Instead of Switzerland, maybe you could go to the Alsace and base yourself in Colmar. <BR><BR>Or you could spend some time in the Champagne region: Reims/Epernay on you way back to Paris.<BR><BR>Or you could swing down to Beaune before heading up to Paris. <BR><BR>Going to Switzerland will be a long haul back to Paris.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR>Michelle

alex Nov 22nd, 2002 08:40 PM

Michelle, thanks for the reply. According to maporama, most of the towns in western switzerland are only 5 hours away?

Michelle Nov 22nd, 2002 09:32 PM

Dear Alex:<BR><BR>I've been looking at my maps too. You'll be driving way too much and wearing yourself out. Perhaps you can just play it by ear and see how it goes along the Moselle and Trier. You may want to hang around there a little. I think your best bet would be doing something on the way back to Paris, such as the Champagne region or war sites in Verdun or the Belleau Wood.<BR><BR>I cannot give you any advice on driving conditions. <BR><BR>Good luck and had a nice(relaxing)trip.

alex Nov 23rd, 2002 03:54 AM

Michelle,<BR><BR>thanks for the response. I will think about doing that. Ever been to Colmar?

Mike Nov 23rd, 2002 04:39 AM

Alex, I think you'll enjoy Alsace. We spend 4 days in the region and it wasn't enough. I would not recommend Colmar -- it was just another big, busy city in my opinion. We stayed in Ottrott at the Hotel Ami Fritz. An excellent base to tay short day trips -- a lot to see and do along with wine route. Here is a web site for accommodations in the region:<BR>http://www.visit-alsace.com/hotels/hotels_ang_3e.html

alex Nov 23rd, 2002 05:53 AM

mike,<BR><BR>thanks for the website. From reading all the web postings on switzerland it looks like montreux/vevey is where I am going to go. Where is a good place to stop for the night between trier and montreux? Basel? Freiburg? Colmar? Mulhouse?

alex Nov 23rd, 2002 06:12 AM

Okay, I am leaving for the airport in 5 hours and I am definitely extending my trip by 5 nights. <BR><BR>Plan looks like this (driving) trier to colmar 1 night in colmar. colmar to montreux or vevey, 2 nights there. drive to dijon 1 night there. drive to paris last night there and then fly home. <BR><BR>Any suggestions on stop over instead of colmar or dijon but around those areas in order to stay on my route is much appreciated. <BR><BR>likewise for hotels. I will access this forum from an internet cafe so any suggestions will definitely be acted upon.

alex Nov 23rd, 2002 09:19 AM

Anyone?

Ingo Nov 23rd, 2002 09:35 AM

okay, alex, I put my 2 cents in. Originally I didn't want to, because the recommendations tend toward Alsace and I thought you would shy away from visiting Switzerland.<BR><BR>But, if you really want to do the detour to Switzerland - and it is IMO a good idea - you should spend more time there. Considering that your visit is in Dec. I recommend to cut off Colmar and Dijon and add these days to Switzerland - let's say Muerren or somewhere else in the Bernese Oberland.<BR><BR>Even in Dec. the scenery is gorgeous with all the snow. Very cosy, romantic. It is low season early Dec., so you will probably find reasonable acc.<BR><BR>Montreux is also a good choice. Plenty to do there (castle Chillon is a must) and it is also a region with many vineyards and excellent food (not to miss the &quot;cavaux&quot; where you can taste local wine and have some simple food with it - the little village Lutry has a perfect one). So you don't miss a lot if you don't stay in Dijon. Montreux - Paris is doable in five or six hours I think.<BR><BR>I am not sure about hotels in Montreux area. Many are closed during winter. Give me a little more time to think about it.<BR><BR>Ingo<BR><BR>I am not

alex Nov 23rd, 2002 09:51 AM

Ingo,<BR><BR>I am going to take your suggestion and skip out some of the stops allowing for more time in switzerland. Thanks for the suggestions and I will definitely go see the chatillon.<BR><BR>Off to the airport in 1 hour

Michelle Nov 23rd, 2002 10:40 AM

Dear Alex:<BR><BR>Just my two cents worth: Don't wear yourself out. One nighters are very tiring. I think you should save Switzerland for another trip, but do what you have to do. We have been to the Alsace and stayed in Colmar. It was fine, but there are tons of charming wine towns on the wine road. We grow winegrapes in Northern California, so seeing the vineyards is important to us. We have also been to the Bernese Oberland. Spectacular and charming. <BR><BR>Hope this doesn't confuse things more. Just don't get too worn out driving. <BR><BR>Good luck and let us know how the trip goes when you get back.<BR><BR>Michelle

Ingo Nov 26th, 2002 10:27 AM

Alex,<BR><BR>as promised, let me recommend some hotels in Montreux area and Muerren.<BR><BR>I personally stayed only in one three star hotel in Montreux: Masson. Unfortunately they use to close late Oct.<BR><BR>But I also had a look at the three star hotel Bahyse in Blonay above Vevey. Elegant, family running hotel, quiet location. They offer rooms with lake view, too.<BR><BR>A couple of months ago we discussed in our &quot;Support Group for those ...&quot; about Hotellerie Chatonneyre in Corseaux above Vevey. Of course we don't have a personal impression, but it seems to be quite good. At least the location is perfect: in a small vinegrowers village, quiet , probably with view over the lake. It is definitely an option. Just drive there and have a look yourself.<BR><BR>I don't know their websites, just search on www.montreux-vevey.com<BR><BR>For M&uuml;rren: as a three star I recommend Hotel Alpenruh. Very cosy, located right beside the cable car station. Good food, gorgeous views.<BR><BR>www.muerren.ch<BR><BR>Take notice that Muerren is car-free. You must park your car in Stechelberg, at the end of the Lauterbrunnen valley and go up to Muerren by cable car.<BR><BR>Enjoy your stay!<BR><BR>Ingo<BR><BR>

Hummmmm Nov 26th, 2002 11:09 AM

Ingo.......Just to let you know, alex left 2 days ago.<BR><BR>Hummmmmm

Ingo Nov 26th, 2002 12:24 PM

But he is now in Trier and wants to check this thread during his stay there. He will be leave for Switzerland end of the week!<BR><BR>Ingo

BPA Dec 8th, 2002 07:40 PM

What are the road conditions like in Switzerland in March? We're planning on driving from northern Italy up to Zurich through Lucerne.

Harzer Dec 9th, 2002 03:15 AM

According to my Shell atlas of Germany, France and Switzerland it is only around 200 miles from Trier to Basel, the first city you come to in Switzerland. This should only take you around three to three and a half hours driving time. <BR><BR>The route is by autobahn all the way, heading first to saarbr&uuml;cken and then to Strasbourg, where you join the main autobahn south.<BR><BR>From Basel to say Lausanne is again by autobahn and shouldn't take much more than one hour.<BR><BR>Lausanne to Paris is a lot further, however, nearly 400 miles.<BR><BR>It adds up to a lot of travelling in four days.<BR><BR>You would really enjoy Alsace. I was there in May and was very pleasantly surprised.<BR><BR>Harzer

curious Dec 9th, 2002 03:36 AM

Harzer, sorry to correct you.<BR><BR>Basel - Lausanne is about 200 km. Now, tell me, how you want to do that in an hour!<BR><BR>I'd count about 2 hours that for.