Tricky Italian car rental companies

Old Oct 12th, 2014, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Tricky Italian car rental companies

I have been renting cars in Italy for many years. Up to now, I had no problem with the renting companies. But this time, I had a nasty experience with the Italian car rental Company (LOCAUTO).

I have rented an economy car (Lancia Ipsilon) from Locauto (autoeurope voucher number, EU8009930- Locauto ID 581563- Documento: FCO 14270).

I picked up the car on time (October 2nd) and return it back on time (October 7th).

Just 1- 2 km before I returned the car at Fiumicino airport (on October 7th, 2014 at 10:00 AM), I fulled the gas tank and received an invoice. Then I drove 1- 2 km to the car rental office.

The pointer did not showed ‘FULL’ at the time of return. I told the boy working for Locauto that I had the receipt. He was insensible and rude. He did not accepted the receipt and told met hat I have to pay a fine.

As I had two more hours of time, I drove back to the gas station. The man working at the gas station opened the hood of the car, disconnect the cable of the car battery and then reconnect the cable. The pointer began to reacted correctly. He told met hat this is a TRICK that some car rental companies do.

The car rental company (LOCAUTO) tried to fool me.
I have the receipt and the boy at the gas station accepted to be a withness.

Do I have some rights?
What can I do for this trick?

I’ ll appreciate your kind interest.
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 12:28 AM

I had a similar problem a few years back in Spain. I parked up and the boy went out to read the fuel meter. The guy came back in and told me there would be a fine. I walked out and switched on and amazingly the meter read straight.

So it may not be the cr company it may be just poor technology. Still staff should not be rude.
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 06:07 AM

I'm going to treat this with suspicion. It may well be that LOCAUTO is the worst auto company in the world, but I do find it surprising that yet another comment has been made by somebody who has never posted on Fodor's before.

There have been two in two months on this thread as well "http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/locauto-yes-or-no-or-europcar-in-pisa.cfm#last-comment".
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 06:31 AM

Besides your time and inconvenience, I don't think you have any damages. I doubt that you can prove any deceit as perhaps the fuel gauge just does not work correctly. Really, I would just let it go as it sounds like you had no problems with the car at all during the rest of your trip.
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 06:43 AM

Since the problem was resolved and the gas gauge showed full after the attendant disconnected and reconnected the battery, I don't understand your question about having rights.

What is the problem?

If the Locauto employee was insensible (as you claim) that perhaps could be the cause of his apparent rudeness. I'm not sure one can be both insensible and rude. If this is possible, then he would not be aware of any rudeness because of his insensibility.
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 07:22 AM

The question that would always come up is simply:

What is it that you want?