trenitalia - vienna south to venice s. lucia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there has been hundreds of question on this and I searched some and they don't seem to help me.

Here is a bit of background: I will need a train from vienna to venice (morning train). I am departing August 31. I know I have to wait 60 days before I purchase tickets. (Been waiting patiently, while I practice to ensure when it is time to buy them I can get it.) On one of my practice runs, I noticed that if I use the international tab I can already buy tickets, but if I use the national tab, I am not able to order them. I want to be able to utilize the discount also.

Now that you are all caught up....does anyone know why I can buy on the international tab and does that mean I missed my oppurtunity to get a discount on those tickets? Any help would be appreciated. I apologize again for the reptiveness of this question. Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

no one has thoughts or ideas? I probably wouldn't either with how many times trenitalia gets posted about ...well hopefully someone will eventually. Until then, I am topping for mid morning crew.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 06:26 AM

I don't know exactly why it is so - trenitalia website is not aways the most intuitive one - but unless you get some special deal (also see the SparSchiene offers on www.oebb.at for 29 Euro, from the other side so to say) there is no reason to buy the ticket in advance. There is no reservation requirements on the day trains on this route.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 06:33 AM

Since your route begins outside of Italy, it will only show up on the International tab.

There is a direct morning train on 31 August which still has discount fares available. Choose "Smart Price" rather than the default "Global Second Class" fare and you'll pay only E29.00.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 06:38 AM
ira

Hi Nuttela,

You are taking an international train from Austria to Italy, you have to click "international".

I don't think that you can buy tickets for the 07:57 train online, as you have to change trains in Ljubljana.

Check www.skyeurope.com. They have a shuttle bus to Bucharest, and a flight to Milan Bergamo. Two flights per day.

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 06:43 AM
ira

OOOPS,

Didn't see the 06:30 train.

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I was able to purchase the train tickets. Now I am all set and can enjoy my vacation.

Thanks again to all!