Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Trenitalia Tickets Online (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trenitalia-tickets-online-366941/)

ira Jan 8th, 2004 11:52 AM

Trenitalia Tickets Online

Hi all,

It is now possible to purchase tickets on line from Trenitalia.

Go to www.trenitalia.com and click on the Italian flag.

Click on "registrati ora"

Fill in the blanks.

In an hour or so, you will receive confirmation of your user ID and a password.
Allow a day or two for your information to be entered into the system.

When you make your booking, click on "ticketless".

You will get a confirmation number. Bring that number and the same credit card to which you billed the tickets with you to the train station to get your tickets.

You can purchase tickets from FCO (Fiumicino Aeroporto) to Roma online.

madmax Jan 8th, 2004 12:01 PM

I see you finally got it to work. :-)

ira Jan 9th, 2004 08:16 AM

topping

wesley Jan 9th, 2004 08:22 AM

Yes, but don't expect it to work all the time. I tried last week and the transaction would not go through. I gave up and went to a travel agent. I was told the web site still needs some work. Good luck to all who try.

ira Jan 10th, 2004 11:06 AM

One thing to note.

This website needs to send you cookies. If using internet explorer go to "Tools/Internet options/privacy/advanced" ckick on "override" and make sure that "accept" is marked.

After using, reset "privacy" to "default"

ira Jan 14th, 2004 05:50 AM

ttt

naturegirl Feb 7th, 2004 06:38 AM

Ira, first of all, thanks for sharing this information - I just today found your posting. Question: In filling in the blanks to register, what info is needed in "cognome" blank? Thanks!

naturegirl Feb 7th, 2004 07:34 AM

Ira, you supplied the web address to Free Translation in another posting - I just got "cognome" translated and now know it means "surname". Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

joan_a Feb 7th, 2004 07:36 AM

Nome is your first name and cognome is your last name.

RichardBloomfield Feb 21st, 2004 11:39 AM

ttt

Melissajoy May 6th, 2004 05:00 PM

Ira, help! Trenitalia.com has set many traps for me, I fear. My problem now is that I tried to order train tickets, and I can't tell if it worked or not! EEEk! I see you have posted above that the trenitalia web-site needs to send you cookies...

Well, here's what I did. I registered on the trenitalia web-site. I got my user ID and password. I then went on the english version and tried to order tickets. It didn't work.

So then I switched to the Italian version, and the first thing that confronts the user is a dozen different spots to click on...Yikes...So I decided the thing to do was to type in my information about which train I wanted, times, etc...Then I continued to fill in all the blanks...

At times the web-site seemed to be haunted...

Eventually I reached the point of being assigned seats on the Eurostar train that I wanted, and I had prices, and I had input my credit card info...

I got stuck at one point where you are given a long paragraph in Italian and you must answer "accetto", but I answered "non accetto". Wrong answer. I then went back and was allowed to answer accetto. But then it asked me something in Italian about transferring me to a non-secure site where my data wouldn't be protected...at least, that's what I think it said, it was in Italian...I checked NO, which was the wrong answer, apparently...Then I was informed, again in Italian, something about the cookies were incomplete...

There wasn't any confirmation number. There wasn't any way I could tell if my order was completed, or cancelled, or in limbo...

Now I don't know what to do. This was hours ago. Wait til 24 hours and see if a confirmation arrives by e-mail? And if it doesn't?

I printed out the pages as I filled them out, so I have some interesting numbers, like a couple of code numbers, but NOT anything like a confirmation...

I even have seat assignments, but no tickets...

Actually this is for the Eurostar, so I think I don't need tickets, I think I read you can just print out the confirmation and show it to the conductor...but I don't have a confirmation...

What would you do, Ira? Wait? Order new tickets? write to the web-site?

Sigh.

slynkyy May 6th, 2004 06:17 PM

I too am having troubles but what really has helped is opening Babel Fish and pasting the paragraphs for translation. Its not perfect but you get the jist of things. I have found out a lot this way.

dawgheels May 7th, 2004 04:03 AM

I too am planning to buy train tickets in Italy but am now very nervous about trying this online. I do not think I have quite enough computer savy to deal with the cookies and babel fish and have no Italian. What to do now? thanks

ira May 7th, 2004 04:46 AM

Hi guys,

I used http://www.freetranslation.com/ to translate the Italian Trenitalia website.

At the Italian language site, enter the names of your departure and arrival stations (in that order) in Italian, not English: Roma, Firenze, Venezia, etc, and the date of travel.

The next screen shows the available trains. Click on the shopping cart.

The next screen gives full-fare prices. The default is "ticketless".

If you click on "Per altre tariffe" you will get a variety of options. The important ones are:

Offerta Famiglia: For two adults and one child traveling together (you don't have to be related) and

Ragazzi: Children's fare

For two adults and two children, click on "offerta familia". A popup will tell you that it is for 2 adults and a child. Click OK.

click on "ragazzi" and select one.

At the bottom of the page it will show, 4 tickets and the class. You can change between 2nd an 1st cl.

click "acquista"

For reserved seats (Prenotazioni, choose your seats.

"ticketless" is the default.

The message "porta con te l'e-mail... del treno" tells you that you will get an email confirmation.

Click "avanti".

Enter username and password.

The next screen tells you the price.

The next screen gives you all of your information. Print this out.

Click "acquista" for the way in which you will pay.

On the next screen enter your CC info and click "accetto" (You agree to the terms)
Click "Conferma"

You will get a confirmation number and a message that you will get an email.

Hope this helps.

Melissajoy May 7th, 2004 11:37 AM

Ira and you all, thanks for the info. I have tried twice now to buy the same tickets for the Eurostar on www.trenitalia.com. I THINK I might have succeeded the second time, but I'm still not sure! I followed all the steps and I also used Ira's suggestion about checking my computer settings to make sure they could send me cookies. IRA, WHAT DOES A CONFIRMATION NUMBER LOOK LIKE?! Yikes, why is this so complicated...The transaction looks finished, but it says "Ti sara inviata una E-mail con la descrizione dell'operazione di acquisito on-line", which translates as "You sent off an e-mail with the description of the on-line operation or purchase."

But I haven't gotten any e-mail yet...

There is also an offer for them to send me the relevant data on my cell phone! But I didn't fill this in because who knows, it might be expensive...

I did send an e-mail asking for help to [email protected], but I haven't gotten any answers yet.

Well, if I ever get that e-mail confirming my purchase I'll be on here rejoicing!

Thanks everyone and good luck.

kmjmmm May 26th, 2004 09:00 AM

This is a very confusing website for someone without some knowledge of Italian. I am arriving from an international flight to Milano and taking a train to Spello. I am afraid to buy a ticket from the web as my flight could be late. There is a train station at the airport - does that just go to the central station? Is Eurostar or CIS or IC different windows for ticket purchase? Can you use the machines on the platforms for Eurostar? If yes, how do you get the seat assignment? This was very good information. Thanks

Sue_xx_yy May 26th, 2004 11:32 AM

kjmmm

I can answer some of your questions. IC, Eurostar, and CIS can be bought at one and the same ticket window. In some Italian stations, the biggest ones, there are separate windows for tickets for trains leaving 'today' and trains leaving other than 'today'. Note that you can't buy any tickets that involve a border crossing online or at station machines, but otherwise tickets are usually available from said machines.

Now, for you and melissajoy (if melissajoy is still around, that is): I got that message about 'not secure site' too and decided that that didn't necessarily mean the site was insecure, it meant that my browser or whatever didn't know what to make of a foreign site. Whatever, my CC has not been hit with unauthorized charges. But you do have to signify 'yes' and go ahead with what seems to be an insecure site. Your computer must be configured to accept cookies, and sorry, but I've forgotten how I did this.

When you get the email confirmation, the confirmation number of interest is the 'codice prenotazione' (PNR) which in my case consisted of six letters, along with the details of my train tix, reservations, price, etc. I brought this with me to the station for pickup. I wasn't asked for the CC with which I paid (but then I was using it to buy other tix which I hadn't pre-bought, so it's probably still a good idea to bring it.)

Melissa, if you didn't get an email, somehow I doubt that your seat reservations went through, or that your CC will be charged.

papagena May 26th, 2004 12:44 PM

I'm still a bit wary of trying to get tickets via Trenitalia in Italian (why can't the English section allow purchase?) - could anyone tell me whether I will be able to buy a ticket from Florence to Naples on Eurostar at Venice station?

Sue_xx_yy May 28th, 2004 06:36 PM

papagena

Yes, you can buy tickets for all FS trains, including Eurostar trains, at any FS station, including Venice. Tip: when I went to the Venice station in the midafternoon, there was no line. By 4 p.m (start of rush hour) the line was 10 people deep.

Nova81 May 30th, 2004 10:47 PM

Hi!
Does anybody know how much Trenitalia Pass cost and where can i buy it in RoMe? Please send me also web site.
Thanx