Trenitalia tickets from Rome to Cinque Terre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to purchase some train tickets to travel from Rome to Cinque Terre and I have a few questions;

Our trip is at the end of May and need the tickets for May 26th, should I buy the tickets from here in advance or wait until I get to Rome?

Also, what is the difference between economy, 2nd class and 1st class? Is it worth the price difference to do 1st class or it's not that different?

The day we are traveling to CT, I would like to leave early from Rome to get to CT by Noon. when I look in trenitalia, it says there is a Frecciabianca 9762 train at 6:57 with a train change in La Spezia, then you have to take a regional train (Retionale 24490) to Corniglia. Arrives in Corniglia at 11:25. When I buy them, will it give me both train tickets the frecciabianca tickets and the Regional tickets or do I have to buy the regional train ticket over there?

After Cinque Terre, we are traveling to Florence and would like to stop in Pisa to see the tower but we are worried that we would have to carry our luggage. does the train station in Pisa have a place to leave the luggage while we walk around for an hour or two?
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 05:26 AM

Yes there is luggage storage at Pisa Central train station - take a bus there or walk about a mile thru town to the Leaning Tower area.

You can save money by buying tickets in advance for the Pisa/Rome coastal route or Florence/Rome high-speed route - but then you have booked a specific train at a specific time and that cannot be changed at least at that price.

Two different routes Pisa along coast to Rome -more scenic but slower vs going to Florence then taking high-speed trains to Rome.

For lots of great stuff on Italian trains check out these IMO superb sites - www.seat61.com (great info on discounted tickets); www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - you can always IME buy tickets in Italy - so many trains - only reason to buy ahead is to save some money.

And yes there is a significant difference between first and second class and that's why many Italians pay more to right more leisurely in first class - not that second class is a cattle car - bigger seats in 1st class - often more empty seats IME - easier to stow luggage and on high-speed trains free snack and beverage only in first class I believe.
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 05:46 AM

Carrera was very pretty on the ride so don't sleep through that part of the trip. Loved seeing all of the marble. I changed trains twice in Pisa but the connection was tight so we didn't go check out the tower. Our seats were fine in second class.
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 06:43 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The fast train Rome/La Spezia you could buy in advance to try to snag some discounts. The slow regional trains (La Spezia/Coriglia, Corniglia/Pisa, Pisa/Florence) buy in Italy. Regional tickets bought online have more restrictions than if bought in Italy and can only be purchased 7 days in advance. There are no discounts or seat reservations possible on regional trains and many are only one class. You could buy all your regional tickets at once in Rome. It used to be if you purchased these in Italy they were good for several months (regional online tickets aren't).

This is 2nd class on the fast train.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ssainterno.jpg

Regional tickets need to be validated before boarding (look for yellow machines trackside). Tickets for fast trains are checked on board.
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 11:52 AM

[[ It used to be if you purchased these in Italy they were good for several months (regional online tickets aren't) ]]

It's still true that regional tickets bought in a train station are good for two months. Once you've stamped them, you've committed to a specific travel time, and then they're good only for a few hours, the exact number depending on the route. The regional tickets bought online can't be stamped, so they already have a several-hour time limit within which they can be used. You definitely are better off buying regional tickets at a train station, either in a ticket machine or at the ticket agent window.

[[ Regional tickets need to be validated before boarding (look for yellow machines trackside). ]]

This has changed; the machines are now in the Trenitalia colours: green, white, and red.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 04:25 AM

This is 2nd class on the fast train.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b9/Frecciarossainterno.jpg>

the difference between first and second class - take this staged photo opt picture of a brand new train when it rolled into service and put people in every seat and then you will see the real first class - with baggage all around, etc.

In first class this picture would be representative of what I've experienced - about half the seats often empty - but take out one seat as first class has three seats in the same row as 2nd class has 4 - I love the so-called isolated seats - the aisle and window seat - seats with one in a row - can face each other for couples but as a single traveler I love this isolation - never having to both someone to get out to go to the loo, etc.

kybourbon to be objective why do you not show pictures of both classes and only this staged photos of a second class train the likes of which I guarantee you you will never see.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 04:29 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ng-options.cfm
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 07:06 AM

There are several IC and an occasional ES train from La Spezia Centrale to Pisa Centrale - and these do have first class and as always there is a significant difference between classes - these trains are 20-40 minutes faster than regional trains.

IME regional trains in Italy are not nearly as comfy as IC trains - they are dirt cheap but you get what you pay for.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 08:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
PQ - You are the one that isn't objective with your need to push everyone into 1st class while staying in hostels yourself. Just because you are obsessed with 1st class rail passes, doesn't mean everyone wants to spend their money on trains and skimp on hotels. I didn't tell the OP what to book, but simply supplied the info of what it looks like in 2nd class.

The picture is an actual picture of 2nd class. You claim it's a promo photo, but let's see proof of that. Even if it's a promo photo, it's still an actual picture of 2nd class.

Here's another 2nd class pic.

http://mightymac.org/europe12/12europe32.htm

Another:

http://www.railgallery.info/photo_sh...+copy.jpg.html
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 11:48 AM

The picture is an actual picture of 2nd class. You claim it's a promo photo, but let's see proof of that. Even if it's a promo photo, it's still an actual picture of 2nd class>

I have never seen a 2nd class train car so sparely full - are you saying that this is a typical photo - I can expect empty seats next to me and only several passengers in the whole car - if so only a fool would go first class. No fill all those seats up with bags, etc and you get a better representation.

And again I always explain both classes - saying 2nd class is perfect adequate but that first class is more adequate - why not just show pictures of both first- and second-class cars and let the individual see the difference?

No I think that you only pushing 2nd class is extremely biased - explain the differences between classes - I strive to do that - and let the individual decide.

Again to give a full picture show pictures of each class and explain the differences between classes - not everyone wants what is cheapest, which seems your bottom line - be objective and let the individual decide.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 02:52 PM

Just because you are obsessed with 1st class rail passes, doesn't mean everyone wants to spend their money on trains and skimp on hotel>

where do I mention here railpasses but since you bring it up they - in both classes can be a good deal for some folks - I'll go into that later.

and try to understand that I am writing from an information angle and not what I would do - yes the average person spending $299-300 should at least consider paying the relatively extra and go first class - you know that at times due to the Byzantine fare structure of discounted tickets that first class may be available on a discounted basis not much more than 2nd class - some posts testified to this - how much difference in price would you say would be worth it to go first class?

1 euro - 10 euros - I say if not much difference it's a no-brainer to go first class - the complimentary coffee and snack would cost a few euros.

Again all options should be laid out - I never say first class is the way everyone should go but that they should know the significant (IMO not yours as you often say there is virtually no difference between classes and if your staged photos were true there would be no difference) differences and then decide how much more it would cost and decide based on knowing exactly what each is all about. Any I always say second-class is just fine for most but that 1st class is even finer.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 02:54 PM

And, Man in Seat 61 you may remember said on this forum a few years back that he was an aficionado of first class when talking about Italian trains - I guess he don't know what he's talking about and just throwing away money?
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 03:10 PM

The Man in Seat 61 may be the only human being on earth who really enjoyed the Thello overnight train from Paris to Italy. He has lots of useful information, and I recommend his website myself, but as we say in Italy, "Non è il vangelo".

You can sometimes get one of the higher classes (there are now four on the Frecciarossa trains, none of which are called 1st or 2nd) even cheaper than "standard" class, if the economy and super-economy tickets are sold out in the cheaper class but still available in the higher classes. I buy the higher class tickets when they cost the same or less than the standard class. So, I can say I've experienced the various classes, and in my opinion, there's no significant difference between them.

There's plenty of room in second class, and I certainly wouldn't pay 30%-50% more to ride in the higher classes, where I would get a few more inches, a bottle of water, and a newspaper (Italian only). I can get the last two in the station for a lot less, and the first is worth to me, maybe €5, but no more.

The main reason there are more people in standard class is that all the Italians (except those on expense accounts) are riding there.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 03:17 PM

So, I can say I've experienced the various classes, and in my opinion, there's no significant difference between them.>

why do so many Italians pay extra to go first class? Why throw their money away?

One BIG difference is the rows of one seat - an aisle and a window - I at least value that very much and I'm sure others do as well. You cannot see that that could be a huge plus for some folks - and it's not like I don't like other people but I'd rather have my own seat without anyone next to me - does that make sense to you - that is more than 'a few more inches' right?
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 05:13 PM

Generally speaking, 1st Class on a Regional train in Italy will get you into a car with working air conditioning in the summer. All bets are off in the other cars. (Based on years of experience with Milano Centrale to Lake Como.)
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 04:43 AM

bivienci:

If I were an Italian traveling on trains a lot or even occasionally and I was not wealthy I'd go second class - a difference between a local and a tourist however is:

1- Tourist is on the trip of a lifetime - paying $200-300 a night for hotels and it is rather insignificant compared to that paying more for first class - and as a tourist they are likely to be carrying around too much luggage - and luggage IME is a bit easier to stow when you have, even if all seats were full, 25% less seats in the same-size train compartment plus IME at least there are often more empty seats to spread out on in first class.

So perhaps you can appreciate the difference between the tourist on the trip of a lifetime carrying too much luggage vs a native taking the train for short trips.

anyway I believe in extolling the benefits of first class and describing IME for the average tourist what I have found riding zillions of Italian trains. Others impressions are different and that is fine - say what you feel but don't try to stifle others impressions. The more info for the tourist the better they can know about what to chose - price is the determining thing to some but to others there are other factors.

Cheers
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 08:04 AM

Here's another 2nd class pic.

http://mightymac.org/europe12/12europe32.htm

Another:

http://www.railgallery.info/photo_showcase/v/italy/etr500/second/RailGallery_280407_035+copy.jpg.html>

OK these photos are more typical of what I've seen - except of course every seat full with luggage about, etc. first class would have one less seat per row and of course the aisle and window seats that to me at least is worth the extra money at least on a long ride.