Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Trenitalia ticketless option? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trenitalia-ticketless-option-674029/)

navgator Jan 26th, 2007 12:43 PM

Trenitalia ticketless option?

I have a few questions about purchasing train tickets on the trenitalia website using the ticketless option. We are thinking of travelling first class with reserved seats.

1) Is it as easy as it looks; purchase online and receive an email with a booking code. Board the train and show the conductor your email with booking code and thats it?

2)When selecting a rail service, what do you put in the "SEAT NEAR TO" section, requesting the coach and seat number?

3) Irrespective of the class of travel, I thought I read somewhere , that if you miss the train, then you may not use the ticketless email confirmation code to board a later train? From what I understand, if you purchase a ticket in Italy, it can be used for any service on that day?

Any comments welcome
Thanks

saps Jan 26th, 2007 12:51 PM

1. Yes it is that easy

2. Unless you want a specific seat leave this section blank

3. If you have seat reservation (small separate fee) and you miss your train you have to pay for another seat reservation.

cruiseluv Jan 26th, 2007 01:04 PM

I used the ticketless option and it was very easy. Just make sure you make a print out with the reservation # to show the conductor aboard the train.

navgator Jan 26th, 2007 07:07 PM

Thanks for the advice.
So if I reserve a seat using the ticketless option, and miss the train booked, I can still ride on the next train but only need to pay for another reservation fee? is that correct?

ira Jan 27th, 2007 07:33 AM

HI N,

YES

((I))

ira Jan 27th, 2007 07:35 AM

OOPS,

Yes, unless it is an ES* train, which is reservation only.

If you miss that train you have to turn in your 1st ticket and get a new ticket.

((I))

navgator Jan 27th, 2007 01:41 PM

Thanks Ira,

the first trip on my journey was a Eurostar, so I'll keep that in mind.

navgator Jan 27th, 2007 01:49 PM

Hello Ira,

Just thinking about your last response again.

Do you mean
1) If originally purchasing a Eurostar ticket, then I need to purchase a new ticket for boarding another Eurostar service or

2) If originally purchasing a Eurostar ticket , I need to purchase a new IC or ICplus ticket, if these trains are my options at the later time or

3) all of the above

thanks in advance

ira Jan 28th, 2007 11:07 AM

Hi N,

If you nuy a ticket on an ES* train, it is good only for that one train.

You can get a partial refund if you miss the train.

You can get a full refund if you turn in your ticket before the train leaves.

If you buy a ticket on an IC, D, or R train, it is good for any train that runs that route.

If you buy a seat reservation, it is good for only one train. If you miss the train you have to buy another reservation.

Hope this answers your questions.

((I))

navgator Feb 5th, 2007 01:10 AM

I'm a bit late in responding to your answer Ira, but yes you answered it nicely, thankyou.

ira Feb 5th, 2007 05:44 AM

you are welcome, N

((I))