Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Trenitalia question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trenitalia-question-770755/)

bornintheusa Mar 3rd, 2009 08:24 PM

Trenitalia question

Will be needing many train tickets for 2 weeks in June. I like the idea of just buying tickets at each station and using the machines with a credit card . How easy is this to do?? And can I get the Amica discount at the machines like I could online??? Or should I just attempt to get them on line even though everyone says it is a difficult process and very frustrating

Zerlina Mar 3rd, 2009 08:56 PM

It's very easy to do; the machines are multilingual.

The number of places per train available at the Amica fare is limited. If you know the trains you want to take, you can buy all your tickets at the same time with a good chance of getting the Amica fare. You have to choose "Promo" on the machine to see the Amica fare. Be aware that you have to exchange your ticket if you miss your train or choose another train.

Silverstreak Mar 3rd, 2009 08:56 PM

How many train trips....you may be better with a Pass.

bornintheusa Mar 3rd, 2009 09:02 PM

Venice to Vernazza, Vernazza to Pisa, Pisa to Florence, Florence to Siena, Florence to San Gimignano, Florence to Orvieto, Orvieto to Rome,and Rome to Naples twice--what is the pass you are talking about??

Zerlina Mar 3rd, 2009 09:10 PM

It's highly doubtful that a pass would save you money. Go to www.railsaver.com, enter your exact itinerary and click "Only if it saves me money." On major train lines, you will want to take ES trains for which you would have to buy seat reservations. They cost about 15 Euro and are a hassle to buy; seat reservations are included in point-to-point tickets.
You can take a train from Florence to Siena, but the bus is more convenient. You can't go to San Gimignano by train at all.

PamConlan Mar 4th, 2009 03:20 AM

I have a question, as well...how can you buy tickets at Trenitalia online when you can't use a credit card, here in the U.S. at least? I went all the way through the process for my tickets very easily..But when I entered my credit card # and the 3 digits on the back, it couldn't process. So it is impossible to buy online?? And the Raileurope sight is great, but tickets cost a lot more there...

We are arriving in Milan on the 18th of April, for a day and a night, and then the next day, we go to Verona for a day and and night, then on to Venice for 5 days..what I did was spend a little more to guarantee the EARLY train to Verona and then the EARLY train to Venice, as we have early plans..the rest of my train tickets for another 5 daya, I guess I will buy at the Milan station. My Raileurope tickes were delivered quickly and have seat numbers, etc..

I'm starting my own thread soon, with trip details, but did want to pipe in on the Trenitalia question...Thanks

caroline_edinburgh Mar 4th, 2009 03:42 AM

To answer your original question, the machines are very easy to use. I've visited Italy many times and never bought train tickets any other way.

But "Venice to Vernazza, Vernazza to Pisa, Pisa to Florence, Florence to Siena, Florence to San Gimignano, Florence to Orvieto, Orvieto to Rome,and Rome to Naples twice" in two weeks ?!?!? Insane - you're going to spend all your time travelling, checking in & out of hotels & packing/unpacking. I'd pick 2 or at most 3 locations and actually see something of them.

ira Mar 4th, 2009 04:17 AM

Hi born,

Amica fares if there are still seats are available as late as the night before you take your train.

You can buy all of your tickets at one time when you get to Italy.

I suggest taking the SITA bus from Florence to Siena.

For F to San G see
http://www.sangimignano.net/tourist-...-timetable.php

Both buses leave from the same station on Via San Caterina da Siena, near the SMN train station.
.................................................. .................
Hi Pam,

>how can you buy tickets at Trenitalia online when you can't use a credit card...<

Sometimes you can, it's a matter of luck.

Buy all of your tickets at one time when you get to Italy.

((I))

travelfan1 Mar 4th, 2009 04:22 AM

I'm just going to throw in if you're going from Florence to Siena you're better off taking the bus. The bus will drop you off within walking distance of the historic center - the train will not.

ellenem Mar 4th, 2009 04:47 AM

Pam,

Since it can be so exasperating to use the Trenitalia site to make purchases, I never bother. In more than 20 trips to Italy, all of them having some train trips, I've never purchased tickets before arriving there. You are traveling popular routes with many trains--just buy all your tickets when you first get to Italy. You shouldn't have a problem getting seats.

bornintheusa Mar 4th, 2009 05:03 AM

Caroline--not insane, just like to see lots but won't be packing and unpacking--spending 3 nights in Venice, 2 in Cinque Terre, 5 in both FLorence and Rome..the Orvieta run will be done on the way from Florence to Rome..

Thanks for all of the great info--especially taking the bus to Siena...hadn't even thought abou that!

PamConlan Mar 4th, 2009 02:42 PM

Thanks Ira and ellenem..I'm taking your advice and buying the rest of my tickets in Milan...hope to hear from you both when I start my thread..Pam

ira Mar 4th, 2009 03:10 PM

Hi Pam,

Glad to help.

((I))

kybourbon Mar 4th, 2009 05:31 PM

Many of your trips won't have Amica fares available (Pisa/Florence, Vernazza/Pisa, etc.). Amica fares are not sold for R trains and some of these routes that's the only train available.

You don't want to take a train between Florence/Siena as the bus runs hourly, is faster and drops you in the historic center. You also want to use the bus between Florence and San G. The rapid bus to Siena doesn't stop in San G., but the slower bus does.
http://www.sienamobilita.it/EN/regionale.html