Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Trenitalia: "Promo andata e ritorno in giornata" ticket? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trenitalia-promo-andata-e-ritorno-in-giornata-ticket-884292/)

jent103 Mar 29th, 2011 11:31 AM

Trenitalia: "Promo andata e ritorno in giornata" ticket?

I'm trying to buy train tickets ahead of time for our trip in a few weeks, so that I can get the discounted Mini fare. When I look on the Trenitalia site, there is a "Promo andata e ritorno in giornata" category that's even €10 cheaper than the Mini fare. Google translates this as "promo day return", but Trenitalia's "more info" button doesn't list it anywhere. Does anyone know what sort of restrictions are on this? Since we are still several weeks away, I don't want to risk a nonrefundable ticket, but if we can save ten euro each, we'd love to! I looked on Ron's web site but didn't see anything.

While I'm asking :) - I also can't figure out what the stations in red mean in the list of possible journeys. For example, on our journey from Rome to Venice, all the ES trains go to Venezia Santa Lucia, but list "MESTRE" in red under Santa Lucia. Does that mean the train stops there? Or that we have to change trains? I've looked but haven't been able to figure that one out either. It looks like this:

10:45
ROMA TE

14:33
VE S.L.
<red>MESTRE</red>

Thank you so much for your help!

Dukey1 Mar 29th, 2011 11:34 AM

Ron's website?????

If it says it ends in santa Lucia then that's where it ends. Every train going across the lagoon has to go through Maestre..geographically impossible not to

GAC Mar 29th, 2011 11:42 AM

Don't get fooled by this offer: it requires a SAME DAY ROUND-TRIP TICKET.

Excerpt from rules (in Italian):

"L'offerta “A/R in giornata” ti consente di acquistare biglietti per viaggi di andata e ritorno da effettuare nella stessa giornata e sulla medesima relazione, su entrambe le classi di tutti i treni AV denominati Frecciarossa e Frecciargento, ai seguenti prezzi fissi"

Excerpt from rules (in English):

"The offer is for a same-day return trip at the following set prices"

Are you interested in a SAME DAY RETURN ticket?

jent103 Mar 29th, 2011 11:44 AM

roninrome.com. It gets recommended a lot as a source of information (it is indeed a great one).

I realize Santa Lucia is where we will end up. What I don't know is why Mestre is listed - do we change trains there? But there is a separate column for changing stations.

jent103 Mar 29th, 2011 11:45 AM

GAC, we were posting at the same time - thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't see anything in the English rules at all when I clicked the "more info" button. No, we need a one-way ticket for all our journeys.

jent103 Mar 29th, 2011 01:53 PM

One other random question: Anyone know how much the fare for the Varenna-Milan journey would be? It's a regional train, so I imagine it will be cheap, but Trenitalia won't let me see the prices. Just trying to get my traveling companion a pretty accurate idea of train costs. Thanks!

GAC Mar 29th, 2011 02:00 PM

Fares for the "regionale" trains are shown only for departures within the next 7 days. If you put in such a date, you'll get the fare to appear on the Trenitalia website.

jent103 Mar 29th, 2011 02:08 PM

Oh, perfect. I didn't realize that. Thanks, GAC - you've been so helpful! 5,75&euro; - I think we can handle that. :)