Search

TRENITALIA EUROSTAR TRAINS FOR 29 EUROS DAILY

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 09:20 AM
GAC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRENITALIA EUROSTAR TRAINS FOR 29 EUROS DAILY

Some fantastic news from Trenitalia: effective January 10, 2005, and reservable beginning January 1, 2005, a small percentage of seats on all 130 Eurostar Italia (ES) trains will be sold at the flat promotional rate of 29 Euros, in both first and second class, inclusive of seat reservation, and (most importantly), ANY DAY OF THE WEEK (OR WEEKEND).

In essence, the "Sabato di Trenitalia" promotional rate of 30 Euros for ES trains has been extended DAILY, for as little as 29 Euros.

When seats at the rate of 29 Euros are sold out, more seats will be sold for 39 Euros (also first and second class).
Seats at these promotional rates are capacity controlled, so the sooner you book, the more likely to get the lowest rate (you can book up to 60 days in advance, but no later than midnight of the day beforehand).
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 09:27 AM
GAC
Original Poster

Continued:

The promotional rate of 29 Euros for ES trains applies REGARDLESS OF DISTANCE TRAVELLED on a single ES train.

Here are examples of regular first class fares on ES trains:

Milan/Lecce: 87.28 Euros
Milan/Naples: 81.08 Euros
Venice/Naples: 81.00 Euros
Milan/Bari: 77.98 Euros
Bolzano/Rome: 70.08 Euros
Rome/Reggio Calabria: 68.48 Euros
Veice/Rome: 67.14 Euros
Rome/Florence: 42.35 Euros

A party of four travelling between Rome and Venice on a ES train can save up to 152.56 Euros (over US$200) with this promotional rate.

By contrast, there is no savings if travelling between Milan and Venice (regular first class fare 28.92 Euros), and little savings between Rome and Naples (32.54 Euros).

So, now the savings apply ANY DAY OF THE WEEK on all 130 Eurostar trains in Italy.

I expect that more promotional rates may be offered in the near future for Intercity (IC) trains.

More to come (hopefully) .......

www.trenitalia.com
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 10:55 AM
GAC
Original Poster

According to preliminary news reports, approximately 30 seats per Eurostar Italia train will be sold for 29 Euros, plus an additional 60 seats for 39 Euros. Only one-third of these seats will be in first class.

The foregoing is based on a typical Eurostar Italia train accommodating 590 passengers in both classes of service, although some trains accommodate fewer.

So, locking into the deeply discounted fare will often require booking many days in advance, or being flexible with respect to the train choice, particularly on routes which have less frequent ES service.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 01:36 PM
GAC
Original Poster

A party of four travelling between Venice and Naples on an ES train can save up to 208 Euros (over US$280) with this promotional rate.

A party of four travelling between Milan and Salerno on an ES train can save up to 236.84 Euros (over US$320) with this promotional rate.

And so on....... all commencing January 10, 2005.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 03:01 PM

Thank you for posting this, GAC. It's wonderful! These Trenitalia specials remind me of SNCF's "Prem's" offering. Now, if only we could encourage travelers to look harder at point-to-point tickets before considering rail passes. Most American guidebooks I've read use full-fare tickets, bought through RailEurope, for their comparisons. I'm not saying that passes are bad, only that they aren't the obvious bargain that they once were.

Paul Marcelin-Sampson
Santa Cruz, California, USA
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:14 AM
GAC
Original Poster

The Trenitalia website has been updated and this promotional fare is now OFFICIAL. Here are some additional important rules and restrictions:

1. Official name: "EUROSTAR A 29/39 EURO"

2. Promotion EXPIRES April 30, 2005 (UNLESS extended). Keep checking the website to see whether it gets extended.

3. Reservations accepted immediately, for travel beginning January 10 (so, on the website, you must enter a date between January 10 and April 30)

4. Valid on a SINGLE ES train (no back-to-back trains, as is the case with "Sabato di Trenitalia&quot

5. Seats are limited and variable according to date and week of departure and specific train (so, if you can't get the 29/39 rate, try a different train or a different date). Remember that when first class sells out, seats at the promotional rate become available in second class.

6. Ticket is valid only for the train and on the date reserved.

7. Sales via Trenitalia website, national call centre in Italy, self-service machines, manned rail station ticket windows, and authorized travel agencies.

8. RESERVATION CHANGES: allowed up to ONE HOUR prior to departure time or originally scheduled train, for a CHANGE FEE of 5 Euros per ticket (this is NEW), and always subject to seat availability, provided the new reservation is for a LATER DEPARTING ES train. NO CHANGES ALLOWED BY INTERNET OR BY TELEPHONE (which means you must go to a manned rail station in Italy or to the travel agency which issued you the ticket).

9. TICKET EXCHANGES: within ONE HOUR prior to departure time of the originally scheduled train, you may EXCHANGE your ticket in person for a new full fare ticket by PAYING THE DIFFERENCE between the promotional fare already paid, and the full fare of the new ticket. YOU MUST ADDITIONALLY PAY AN EXCHANGE FEE OF 5 EUROS PER TICKET (this is new). Ticket exchange comes in handy in case you decide to take an earlier (rather than a later) ES train, or if there are no seats at the promotional rate on the later departing train, or if you change itinerary, and there are no seats at the promotional rate on this new ES train).

10. REMEMBER, this promotion is restricted to ES trainS (NOT IC trains), ANY DAY OF THE WEEK, and is scheduled to expire on April 30, 2005
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 11:49 AM
GAC
Original Poster

This new promotional fare takes effect on MONDAY JANUARY 10 and continues through April 30, 2005 (unless extended by Trenitalia).
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 08:39 AM
GAC
Original Poster

Note that this discount fare APPEARS APPEARS to have been extended beyond the stated expiration date of April 30, 2005, as you can now purchase tickets on the Trenitalia website at this rate on ES Italia trains into early May. So, possibly good news for travel in late Spring/early Summer. More news to come ......
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 09:55 AM

I took advantage of this offer--the price is so much better! Thank you for the information GAC. I have another question--my husband purchased train tickets using this special FOR THE WRONG DAY. I went ahead and bought tix for the correct day, but now we have these reservations for a different day. I'd like to get a refund (or apply these tickets to other trips we will be taking through Italy when we are there next month). Can I take care of the refund here, or must I wait until we are in Italy and exchange them then? We will need tickets to/from Rome/FCO; tickets to/from Rome/Siena and Siena/Venice. We have purchased two sets of Venice/Rome. Can I apply the one we don't need to any of the other trips, or are we just "SOL"? If so, I consider it a lesson for "communicaiton." Thank you for your help!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:17 AM
GAC
Original Poster

jleone:

You should be able to apply the money paid for the erroneous reservations towards travel on other Trenitalia routes, provided you make appropriate arrangement no later than one hour prior to the departure time of the erroneously reserved train. I would go to the ticket window of a major Italian train station a couple of days beforehand and seek to accomplish this. You'll forfeit 5 Euros per ticket, and you'll have to pay the full fare for the new tickets, but you won't lose all the money you've already paid.

I don't believe that you can accomplish this "exchange" through the website.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:22 AM
GAC
Original Poster

On Trenitalia's brand new website, the "Eurostar a 29 Euro" promotional rate of 29 Euros, regardless of distance travelled, for Eurostar Italia (ES) trains REMAINS AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE EVEN BEYOND APRIL 30, 2005.

You can lock in this fabulous rate up to 59 or 60 days beforehand, but not sooner. The promotion is valid daily, but ONLY for ES trains.

Remember, too, that the "Sabato di Trenitalia.com" and the "Freedom to Travel" promotions also CONTINUE IN FORCE. "Sabato di Trenitalia.com" is valid for ES, IC and ICplus trains.
"Freedom to Travel" is valid for IC, ICplus, ICN and EXP trains.

Always READ the rules and restrictions applicable to the promotion in question, as the restrictions and ticket exchange penalties are significant. Moreover, these promotional tickets are non-refundable.