Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trenitalia - do we need reservations on an IC train from Rome to Orvieto?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to be taking the train from Rome to Orvieto (ic) in early January. Will it be necessary to have seat reservations?

Also - I've read on a couple of posts about a "supplement" - is that just the upcharge you pay to be in 1st class as opposed to 2nd class?

Finally, should we wait until we are in Rome to book the tickets, or is it actually easier to do this online ahead of time?

Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:16 PM

You won't see the details for January just yet (the new timetables come into effect around Dec. 9), but you can input an earlier dummy date and see how it works:

When you input Roma and Orvieto on www.trenitalia.it, with date dd/mm/yyyy and time in 24-hour format of course, you get a few trains displayed. Click on the number in the first column and more details show up. If in the rightmost column the capital letter R is enclosed by a box, then reservations are mandatory and your ticket will include seat reservations. If there is an R without a box around it, then you can, if you want to, make a seat reservation and pay a few Euros extra for it. Probably not necessary, but it's up to you.

For even more details bout the train, click on the train number in the second column.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 12:44 AM

If your train <b>originates</b> in Rome and reservations are not mandatory <b>and</b> you want to save money by not having a seat reservation (which are pretty cheap if you get them in Italy) you should show up a bit early and board the train as soon as it is pushed into boarding position. There will undoubtedly be empty seats which haven't been reserved unless you are traveling on a holiday, etc.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:18 AM
ira

Hi B,

There is an IC every other hour and an R train in between.

In January (unless it' the New Year's), you can buy a ticket online for any of the IC trains and use it on any train that day.

&gt;I've read on a couple of posts about a &quot;supplement&quot;....

That's a reservation fee that you pay for ES* trains if you have a railpass. It doesn't apply here.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:12 AM

Ira, I beg to differ. The reservation charge on IC trains in the past, and I believe still, is refered to as a &quot;supplemento.&quot;

Wally describes it well. On most IC trains requiring no reservations, you don't HAVE to pay the supplement for a reservation. When you buy an IC ticket, you can get on any IC train you want (except the all-reserved ones Wally mentioned) for that route. If you buy a supplement--a reserved seat on a IC train--it is for a particular train and seat. The supplement is issued as a separate ticket. Therefore, you can still change your mind and use your IC ticket on any train, but the reserved seat supplement would only be good on the particular train for which you reserved.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:46 AM

IC Trains &amp; Reservations

Trenitalia no longer marks which seats are reserved and which are non-reserved on IC trains, where reservations are optional.
The Trenitalia web site does tell, and notes at the entrance to the train car do as well i believe, which seats are not reserved - I believe seats 71-86 in each car are not reservable and thus sans reservations you should sit in those seats - to sit in other seats means perhaps getting ousted when the reservation holder boards at a later stop.
So on IC trains be sure you know where the unreserved seats are in each car.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:56 AM
ira

Hi Ell,

Thank you for the correction.

There is an additional fee for reservations on IC trains - whether 1cl or 2cl.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:57 AM

bkmg!
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help! I don't know why it's been so hard for me to wrap my brain around this train issue.

If we do reserve seats, is it easy to figure out which train and car we're supposed to get on when we're at the train station? I guess I'm just worried because neither one of us speaks a word of Italian!

Also, when you reserve a seat, are you reserving a particular seat, like on an airplane, or just the right to sit?
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:59 AM

The biggest mistake people make is thinking they will see their destination on the overhead departures board. That board shows the FINAL destination of the train--just as it would in the US. But not many people outside the northeast USA travel on trains, so many aren't aware of this.

Anyway, your ticket will show a departure time and a train number. These WILL be used on the departures board.

Another way to get an idea: Soemwhere in the train station there will be two large posters in glass cases. One shows all departures at this station (Partenze) and one shows all arrivals (Arrivi). You can find your train listed there by first looking for the time. Another column will show the train number, another the final destination, the interim stops along the way. Another column shows &quot;Bin&quot; for binario or the track from which your train should depart--though this could change at the last moment, so be aware.

If you reserve a seat, you have reserved a particular seat. Your ticket will show your seat number (posti)as well as the train car (carozza). there's even a poster on each track that shows the trains that depart from that track and where each train car will be positioned.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 12:39 PM
ira

Ditto