Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trefriw, Snowdonia, Wales - Info Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 07:52 AM
Jo

Hi - I'm due to spend 5 days in Trefriw which is apparently close to Betws-Y-Coed. I cannot seem to find much info on the place (or even it on the map!). If anybody knows the area could they please help me with the following queries. A good golf course nearby. I reasonably horseriding establishment nearby. Good pub meals. And anything general in the way of sightseeing to do in the area. Also, I've booked in at a B&B called Gaynor House - they seem extremely helpful but I don't know too much about the place. Does anybody know it? Thanks in advance for your assistance. <BR>

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 12:48 AM
Jo Again

At the risk of annoying anyone, I'm putting this back to the top. Haven't yet had any replies and I really am desperate for any information I can find (the guidebook has about 5 lines!) <BR>

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 10:40 AM
catherine

Hi Jo, <BR>I can't help you much, but hopefully I will be better than nothing.Years ago we drove through Snowdonia on our way to S. Wales.We drove through Bettws-Y-Coed.It is a beautiful area,dark green mountains,rushing, pebbly streams and lots of snowy, white, sheep.I would imagine that Trefriw is a small village or hamlet in the area. <BR>There will be some excellent hiking around there,but bear in mind it can be dangerous to climb Snowdon.The weather can change very quickly and leave you stranded. <BR>Wales is full of castles built to fend of the English.Harlech,Caernarvon and Conway would be nice to visit.You are not far from the coast and it is quite pretty.I would imagine there are plenty of golf courses around the coastal areas.There are also many farms which I am sure some will have horse riding. <BR>It's a good sign that the B&B is helpful.If someone cares to be helpful then I would think that they would make you comfortable. <BR>My brother in law is welsh.He is so good and kind.I sometimes wonder if he is really an angel. <BR>A good book about Wales is, On the Black Hill, by Bruce Chatwin.Also, In search of Wales, By H.V. Morton.

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 10:54 AM
Beth

Hi Jo, <BR> <BR>I can't help with most of your questions, but we did spend some time in north Wales in '97. As far as pub meals, I found throughout Wales that the pubs were all pretty much the same. Some of the food was good, some awful, none of it memorable. As far as sight seeing, I'm pretty sure I posted most of this a month or so again, so you might search and get more info. One of my favorite castles was the ruined Welsh castle of Dolbadarn neat Betws Y Coed. Its really just a ruined tower, but its got great views, and its one of the only castle ruins actually built by the Welsh, as opposed to the many built by Edward and the English. Dolwydellen is another Welsh castle near by that we didn't get to, but is also interesting. You can take a cog railway up to the top of Mt Snowden if the weather is decent. I really wanted to do this, but it rained so much there was never a chance. Which leads me to my most significant bit of advice. We were there in mid-September and it was quite cool and very rainy. Make sure to pack warm layers, and rainclothes. I had a windbreaker and a heavy sweatshirt, and it really wasn't warm enough. I wished I'd brought a wool coat, or a heavy raincoat. And I bought a shetland wool sweater to wear while I was there. <BR> <BR>Its an absolutely beautiful landscape. I'm sure you will have a great time.

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 12:33 PM
K. Aikin

Hi Jo, <BR>We traveled through North Wales last September and loved every minute of it. As Beth has mentioned, there are many other castles you might enjoy. My favorites were Dolwyddelan, Conwy, Harlech, Criccieth, and Dolbadarn. I also have a soft spot for the ruins at Aberystwyth. If you're going to be there for five days, I would suggest you buy a North Wales Rover pass. This entitles you to hop on and off trains and buses all through North Wales for 3 days out of 7. You also might want to check out the North Wales web for more information: <BR>http://www.north.wales.com/ <BR> <BR>Have a great trip!! <BR>

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 03:51 PM
kam

Hi Jo, We are also going to Wales this fall with some UK friends. Betws is a charming town which was made famous by a Victorian painter in England. Trefriw is about 5 miles from Betws. We plan to take the Snowdon Railroad if the weather is good, visit Dolwydellan Castle. There are also famous gardens near there. I'm sure there are many horsebackriding opportunities and golf has got to be available. A website I've found interesting is http://britannia.com/wales. We're staying at the Prince's Arms Hotel. They have a nice dining room if you want something better than pub food. Others that have been recommended to me are Cobdens Hotel in Capel Curig, Grapes Hotel in Maentwrog, Swallow Falls Hotel and Ty Gwyn Hotel both in Betws. All the hotels serve "bar food" lunches usually between 12 and 2pm and are inexpensive. We don't go until September, let me know what you find if you're going before that.