Tipping for private car drivers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this is the first time we and our 2 friends have had our travel agent book us a private car for transport to and from airports in Italy, I would like to know the protocol for tipping the driver. The amount for hiring this private car is substantial, however, I have no objection at all to tipping. We are relatively seasoned travellers, and are aware of how much to tip for meals, etc., but this is new to us.

Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 05:01 AM

No tip for the driver. You might want to list the airports/cities here and I suspect you will get good suggestions for drivers or taxis that will cost less than what your travel agent has found for you.

No tip is also what you should tip for meals.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 05:15 AM

I give the driver 10% unless he/she is the owner and then do not tip. Sometimes I round up the fare so the tip may not be exactly 10%.

There have been many threads on tipping in Europe and opinons are divided between those who tip and those who do not tip. You should do what you think is best.

I agree you should shop around for a car service based on recommendations. The price for transport from Rome airport (for instance) to central Rome should not be "substantial."
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

We're already booked and have paid for the car service from Fiumicino to our hotel there, transfer to the airport the next day for a flight to Sicily, travel from Naples to Positano, Positano to Rome, etc. It is TFL Tours to which the cars belong.

My inclination is to tip 10 or so euros (2 couples) for the shorter trips but don't want to appear naive. For meals, I have always rounded up or if the meal and service are exceptional, then the tip is increased.

Thanks for your replies.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 05:57 AM

TFL is a tour company, not just a car service so I would expect to pay more for their services than for a car service which only takes you from one point to the next. You have booked some long rides from town to town so it's more than airport transfers.