travels with a dog

Search

travels with a dog

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
travels with a dog

Any good places to stay in Italy with a small dog? We will be staying in one location for about a month, so we are looking for something not too expensive for Spring 2004. We have travelled there before, so we are open to any area in Italy. Thanks for your help!<BR>Tara
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 04:04 PM

Tara<BR>I was curious about this one myself so I did some research for you. First, if you're interested in renting something for the month, I would start with a text search here like -italy AND rentals- for some rental websites. I have seen on some hotel websites that they indicate whether dogs are allowed-not sure about rental sites. <BR>Then I found the following just FYI<BR><BR>&quot;A traveler entering Italy with a dog or cat must have a veterinarian's certificate stating the animal is in good health and has been vaccinated against rabies between 20 days and 11 months before entry into Italy. It must also give the breed, age, sex and color of the pet and the name and address of the owner. The certificate is valid for 30 days. The forms are available from all Italian diplomatic and consular representatives and from the Italian Government Travel Office. A dog must be on a leash or muzzled when in public. Custom officials may require a health examination of any pet if they suspect it is ill or has come directly from tropical regions.&quot; <BR><BR>Then I found a company that specializes in pet travel<BR>http://www.perilmondo.it/carrello/index.asp?Lingua=2<BR>Here's a forum (that doesn't appear too active) with info<BR>http://www.familytravelforum.com/forum/pettravel/<BR>Finally, here's a website that lists hotels that accept dogs. I would use it as a guide but would not book with them as the prices quoted on some hotels I know are more expensive than they should be. Good luck!
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 04:58 PM

Sorry if I am not PC , but why do you travel with your dog?
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 09:05 PM

Are you already in Europe - or traveling from overseas? It makes a BIG difference. It is one thing to take a train or car intra-Europe to Italy, but quite another if you are flying. Many airlines are no longer accepting animals on board. And the long flight would be very hard on the dog.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, McLaurie. I really appreciate your feedback and your research. Dogs are indeed allowed on most American based airlines...and it's quite safe. I've done the research. Someone else asked why I would take my dog. I wouldnt dream of leaving her with another family or in a boarding facility for multiple months. 2 weeks is one thing...but I like to take personal responsibility for her since I adopted her. Plus, she's part of our family. Dogs are a much more widely accepted part of society in Europe than in the US. As Mahatma Gandhi said, &quot;The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.&quot; I agree.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 10:24 AM

tarapitt: I have lived in Europe and know very well that pets are very integrated and accepted all over. In fact I shipped my Scottie and cat back from the UK when I moved home. BUT - I would NEVER again take a dearly loved pet on an airline (except possibly in the cabin - but that is not guaranteed even when you make advance arrangements). Just too much can go wrong. And do re-check, several American airlines are discontinuing the practice or severely cutting back on the number of animals allowed. They have faced too many liability lawsuits.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 10:36 AM

Tara<BR><BR>Just realized I never actually gave you the last website! It's pettravel.com<BR>Good luck!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:30 PM

I have traveled everywhere with my small dog. It is not a problem. I would not dream of leaving her. I have been to Florence, Venice, Milan, Lake Como with a dog. Just check with hotels ahead of time and you should be fine. In Italy you can even take them into retaurants and I do not mean McDonalds!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Eli

It all depends on the dog's tastes. Some prefer Mcdonalds, some prefer the wine quality which can only be had at gourmet restaurants.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 08:58 PM

Most airlines have a 2 pet miniumum on the planes INSIDE-- or else they go in CARGO.<BR><BR>Some planes are currently making you purchase a TKT for your pet---<BR><BR>Ask when you purchase your tkt- and if your dog is accompanying you,make sure that he/she/it is on the manifest from the airlines- or else they WILL be put in Cargo....<BR><BR>WISH they did this with kids! LOL
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 07:06 AM

I have found that lots of hotels in Italy and France are animal lovers. Most hotels will accept animals for a small fee (between 5-20 Euro). Also while you're travelling know that Vets in Italy are relativly easy to find.<BR>Have fun, Melissa