Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelogue for Lisbon & Portugal (fiction / short stories)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2018, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all -

I spent the month of March in Lisbon. I had a blast. I wrote a series of short stories, Beel's Travelogue, Portugal, to remember my time there and celebrate the Portuguese culture. The narrator is an American visitor and the stories are him telling another tourist about Lisbon's secret side - ghosts, royal pigeons, battle royales from the Exploration Age, and more. If anybody is interested in Lisbon or Portugal you might enjoy some short stories with characters like da Gama, Pessoa, pigeons, Camoes, dance, wine, carracks/caravels, and more from Portugal. Here are some links and brief descriptions of each. Happy to share link to them if anyone is interested:

Introduction: Welcome to Lisboa's Other Side: Our narrator meets our visiting audience in an airport and asks if it's alright to share some unusual suggestions about Lisbon, ones that won't be found in guidebooks or online. (Estimated Reading Time: 3 min.)

A.K. Cooh III: An Unfortunate Chapter in Human-Pigeon Relations: A racing homer escapes the Algarve's Pigeon Grand Prix with three hundred of the nation's most stately and able birds. They flee to and settle in Lisbon, where the leader, A.K. Cooh III, falls for a human working at the Quiosque. Human boy comes along. Boy likes girl, too. 37-minute war of Love ensues between birds and boy. (Estimated Reading Time: 12 min.)

Three Poets in the Dim of Night: The longest story. Pessoa, Camoes, and Chiado can be found by any visitor who wanders alone through the city at night. This is the story of how they revealed themselves to me and how we got along. (Estimated Reading Time: 20 min. )

Battle Royale of Cascais: Every day in Cascais a ghostly Battle Royale takes place between ships from all empires of the Exploration Age. Every ship of the Exploration Age is in attendance, though a random 50 fight each day and the rest sit behind in rows for as far as the eye can see - anchored down, drifting, watching. Galleons. Carracks. Rowboats. Spanish, Ottomans, English, Venetians, Portuguese. This was the most fun to research and write. Your naval history is just awesome (though it gets messy at the Slave Trade bits). (Estimated Reading Time: 18 min. )

*Bonus .. Chapito Convict Protection Program: Chapito was a place I visited three times over my 30 nights there. Portugal's convicts go to the basement there to dance themselves out of their skin and adopt new identities. Both walking to and from Chapito (from Bairro Alto apartment) and spending time there were in my top 5 favorite parts of my stay. I love walking Lisbon at night. (Estimated Reading Time: 16 min. )

Thank you, Portugal!
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please post links. They sound interesting.