travelling with kids to venice and cinque terra

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am travelling with 3 kids. We are flying into Venice-spending 2 nights and then going to tuscany for 5 nights, up to Cinque Terra for 2 nights, rome for 3 nights and Positano for 6 nights.

I am really nervous that I am moving around too much. Is there a central place that I could stay in where I could make easy day trips to Venice and Cinque Terra?

Advice?

Thank you!
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:49 PM

Hello wendy, I am not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if there is somewhere you could stay where you could take day trips to Venice and also to Cinque Terre from the same location? If that is your question the answer is no.
Old May 7th, 2010, 03:46 AM

Hi Wendy, as a new member you probably didn't realise that you had posted your question as a trip report which is done after the trip.

If you click on the little grey triangle near your topic heading you can then ask the editors to move it to the right place.

However, to answer your question, no you can't do day trips from anywhere to those two locations. You are definitely moving around too much, especially with three children in tow. I would drop one of the places on your itinerary so that you can all relax and not spend the majority of the trip getting from one hotel to the next.

How old are the children and what do you think they will be most interested in seeing? Cinque Terre and Positano are both coastal and for the kids it might be too much of the same thing. Unless of course, the beach is a real novelty for them. Where do you live?
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi wendy,

what Cathies said! personally, with [small] children I'd drop the CT, and spend longer in in Venice and Rome, which is what I think your kids will like best.

dont' know what airports you're flying into/out of, but ignoring that, this is what I'd do:

Venice- 4 nights
tuscany for 3 nights,
rome for 6 nights
Positano for 5 nights

I think that your present plan seriously short-changes Rome and doesn't give you long enough in Venice where you can recover from jetlag and adjust to la vita italiana without having to worry about the traffic!
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:12 PM

Hi Wendy

How old are your kids? I also think you should skip CT and spend more time in Venice and Rome.

My experience with Rome is that it's best at a slow pace. Once you try to rush from Point A to Point B, it gets overwhelming. Plus there is so much to see! I've been there a total of 10 days and still haven't seen half of what it has to offer.

Are you flying home from Rome? Then I suggest Venice-Tuscany-Postiano-Rome.

~M
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:55 PM

Yes, the ages of the children is important. Your plans entail a LOT of walking as well as sometimes STEEP hills. Perhaps your children are of an age to enjoy this...we too like to "move around" and cover a lot of territory,,,but you have a pretty agressive itinerary. You didn't say if you have a car to drive, were hiring a car, going by train or bus, or a combination. ( 6 days sounds like a lot for Poisitano!, but perhaps you'll make a couple of day trips from there). Going from place to place and getting settled can take a day off each end of a stay.
Lucky kids to be able to see and experience Italy at the interesting places you have planned. ....(though you might want to cut out one of them). 18 days is a nice long trip (and maybe a little too long some would say)
If you have teenagers it's one thing,,,,,IF you have 5 or 6 yr olds, it would be a different story.
Old May 9th, 2010, 04:10 AM

Hi Wendy,

You are not providing enough information for people to help. How old are your kids? How much will they tolerate stair climbing and steep hills? What time of year are you going? What part of Tuscany are you hoping to visit?

Since you know your kids and no one here does, do you think they will be happier in cities or in nature?