Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Travelling with Kids in Provence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travelling-with-kids-in-provence-126292/)

Mary May 26th, 2001 06:23 AM

Travelling with Kids in Provence

Does anyone have any suggestions for restaurants, activities, etc. for a family travelling in Provence with grade school age children? We'll be there for two weeks.

PB May 26th, 2001 08:19 AM

Could you tell us where in Provence you'll be ? In this area (around St. Remy, Les Baux) there are various activities like horseback riding, biking, a zoo, a free flying eagle and hawk show at the ruins of the castle in Beaucaire..... <BR> <BR>PB

carol May 26th, 2001 02:32 PM

My youngest is 9, and he really enjoyed exploring the old part of Vaison-la-Romaine where we stayed. Just tiny streets and a ruined hilltop castle. It was his first experience with a medieval stone town. He also enjoyed the Roman ruins, particularly the amphi-theater there. He also liked touring the castle at Le Barroux nearby. These may be out of your way - they're not on the beaten path and not standard tourist fare, but with 2 weeks, maybe you'll have time to explore. In Le Barroux, we had a wonderful lunch at Le Geraniums, but it's your typical 2-hour lunch, so kids may get restless. You also might consider a day trip to Carcassonne. My kids LOVED it!

Melissa May 26th, 2001 03:19 PM

I wish I could tell you of a good website to check for this, but if you can, try to find a calendar of events in the region. During the summer (May-June, maybe July too), towns throughout Provence hold medieval festivals. We were in Avignon last year when their weekend medieval festival was going on.....parades throughout the old town, craft fair, food fair, medieval activities for kids--all weekend long. It was enjoyable for adults and children alike. When we left Avignon, I noticed banners in some adjacent towns publicizing THEIR upcoming medieval festivals.

Lauren May 26th, 2001 03:27 PM

You should check with tourist information when your arrive. They will be able to tell you about local festivals. <BR> <BR>Whitewater rafting and canoeing is available in the Gorge du Tarn. I don't have the specifics because I have not done it, but it might be worth checking out. Rafting is always fun for the whole family and kids love it.

StCirq May 26th, 2001 07:48 PM

Our kids (now 11 and 14) have been to Provence a couple of times in the past three years and have really enjoyed: the Pont du Gard, the colloseum at Arles (and the town in general), the castle at Beaucaire (we missed the falcon exhibit), the "taureaux razoteurs" (did I get that right, PB?) exhibition in Mausanne (this is a strange version of a bullfight in which a bull and a bunch of very athletic men are put into a ring together - the men have razors on their fingers which they can use if necessary to keep the bull away momentarily while they escape over the fences. Not to everyone's taste, but certainly not anywhere near as intense as a real bullfight). This is a local event that just happened to be going on in conjunction with local festivities, but I gather it's something that happens with some frequency in summer in Provence. They also loved the Camargue with its wild horses and abundant bird life, and the markets, where there are always stalls filled with things children love (unusual toys, books, candies) as well as local foodstuffs and clothes. As for restaurants, without knowing where in Provence (a large area) you're staying, it's hard to say, but kids can always find something to eat on a provençal menu, from pizza marguérite to seafood to salads. Unless they are wedded to fast food, they'll do just fine - the regional cuisine is fresh and healthy.

PB May 27th, 2001 02:37 AM

&lt;&lt;the "taureaux razoteurs"&gt;&gt; <BR> <BR>The razeteurs ... yes, they're amazing to watch ! The various villages also often have 'taureau piscine'.... they built a swimming pool in the middle of the bull ring with bales of hay and a a tarp, fill it with water and play various games with very young bulls - diving into the pool to escape their charges. I've never seen anyone get hurt... well, maybe their dignity when a bull's horn hooks a pair of shorts (you can imagine it from there). <BR> <BR>In the Camargue, you can also visit the walled city of Aigues Mortes - a smaller version of Carcassonne, and the departure point for the Crusaders. <BR> <BR>PB