Travelling with children and grandparents - advice on best itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like your input on how I could build an itinerary for a family trip probably in May. We plan to travel with our two kids (ages 5 and 9) and my parents (61 and 66, but both with fibromyalgia). It's my parents' first time in Europe (we are from Brazil) and we would like to experience at least two cities in Europe, but we only have 2 weeks to spare and don't want to get them too tired.

Since my parents suffer from extreme fatigue in simple situations such as going to the supermarket, we are more concerned with them than with the kids (we've travelled to Europe with our children before with no problems). So, we want them to stay in the same location for several days and preferably not rent a car (they get too tired in car travels, even when they are only 1,5 h drives). I believe that if we take airplanes or trains, at least they can stretch out and walk down the aisles. We usually rent apartments rather than hotel rooms, because it is roomier and also cheaper for families.

Here's our first ideas of itineraries:
Paris - Amsterdam and maybe a third town?
Paris - Rome - Firenze
Replace some of the above by Prague would be another idea. We just don't want to go to Spain, Portugal or Scandinavia, because we've been there recently.

I'd appreciate your help!

Daniele
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Hello danielef, with two weeks and considering your parents health conditions I would be inclined to only stay in two cities. If you can find apartments which are centrally located your parents could take a nap and rest while the rest of you continue sightseeing. If you are all interested in Italy Rome and Florence would be lovely and the train ride between these two wonderful cities is not that long so that would be helpful with your parents.

I don't know about flights from Brazil but if you could fly into one airport and fly home from another that would keep you from having to backtrack. But if say you needed to fly into Rome and home from Rome again the train ride is not that long from Florence.

Almost everyone loves Paris so if that is your preferance than Paris and Amsterdam would make for a good trip also. Let us know what you work out. Best regards.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 04:25 PM

I think one week in London, one week in Paris should be fine for your parents Paris-Amsterdam it's great too but Amsterdam maybe is more difficult for your parents to navigate so I wouldn't be there for the whole week , maybe you can add a taste of belgium there
As much as I love Italy and having a walking disability myself..I wouldn't take your parents there. I mean, yes, you can go and organise activities and ways of visiting places suitable for them...but most monumental areas are pedestrianised and believe me, it's hard to do. I don't think they will enjoy as much their first time in Europe as in other more easy cities like London or Paris , with lots of transportation means that can take you everywhere.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

I'm glad I got responses so quickly! Kenderina, when you say that Rome is harder to navigate when a person has walking disabilities, is it because bus/subway stops are far and between or because the streets themselves are not as even and easy to walk on as one would expect? That's an important information for me.

Thanks and let's keep the discussion, I'm loving it!

Daniele
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 02:32 AM

from MY own personal experience in rome, london and paris, i find that the bus system and frequency and masses of people with no seat on the bus is much worse in rome than the former two.

my husband and i were squeezed in TOKYO style on several, and finally decided to walk and take a taxi.
i have not found this to be true consistently in paris or rome..

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 03:59 AM
ira

Hi D,

With two weeks and the requirements you describe, I suggest only 2 cities.

For first timers, I suggest a week in London and a week in Paris.

It's about 2:30 - 3 hr by train from central London to Central Paris.

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 04:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, danielef,

Can i put a spoke in your wheel and suggest something entirely different? By the sounds of it, your parents are not gonig to enjoy using public transport like crowded buses etc, which you are bound to get in any large city in europe in May. In your place I would choose one of the italian or swiss lakes, where there are lots of boat trips for the parents, which you can use as a base for longer exploring for you and the kids.

For example, you could stay on lake garda, and whilst the parents explored the lake by boat, you and kids could see verona, venice, padua, the dreaded gardaland, the waterpark. you and the lids could always join in the boat trips from time to time too of course.

THere are nice shops to wander round, lovely cafes, seats by the lake, plenty for all.

If you really wanted a city, you could combine a week at the lake with a stay in either florence or venice, or a smaller place like lucca from which you could get to florence and pisa if you wished.

IMO your and parents and therefore you will enjoy this sort of stay a lot more than trying to negotiate a big city.

Good luck!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 06:42 AM

danielef, I say because there's no subway (well, there are two lines not very practical for tourists and at the moment, don't have elevators so you have to negotiate LOTS of stairs , which is an absolute nono for me) and the buses are crowded as I have never seen a crowded bus before... so you are bound to walk or take taxis. Most streets are not even (cobblestones) and part of the city is hilly !! I got very exhausted hiking
In London buses are easy to board and there are place reserved for disabled and elders. And buses go everywhere. Of course, I took taxis also but less often than I did in Rome. And London is almost all even !! I cannot tell first hand about Paris because I've never been but I suppose it should work ok too. Rome is wonderful but it's a very ancient place and that has some drawbacks. The most important thing is that all of you enjoy the trip, I enjoy Rome a lot but I know that my experience with the city it's maybe a particular one and never got to see many things other people see. Anyway, if you really want to go to Italy...having a lot of cappuccino and gelato on cafes while resting is a great treat
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Venice requires some walking, and has stepped bridges. Unless you found a place very close to a vaporetto stop, it might be difficult for your parents. Rome has hills and cobblestones, making it harder to walk. As Kenderina says the subway's not that useful and the buses are crowded. Florence is pretty flat and the sights are concentrated, but not much public transportation in the historic center.

I have to concur with the London and Paris suggestion with the train in between. If you opt for a non-city location, you'll have to chose very carefully.