Travelling to London on business - help!

Old Apr 9th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travelling to London on business - help!

Hi - I love this site as it has always given me fantastic ideas, walking tours and great tips on how to best see a city!!

I am arriving in London the 21st April at 12 noon staying in the City area near St. Paul's Cathedral. I will have the rest of the day Saturday and Sunday to sightsee (and the full Saturday of the following week). I just learned that Sunday happens to be the London Marathon so it kind of impacts my sightseeing as I won't be able to hit the main sights until late afternoon. I need some help to plan my days so I get the most out of my time there. I would love to explore and spend time at the main attractions like St. Paul's, Buckingham, Parliament and Big Ben, Westminister Abbey, London Eye and Shard. My kids are huge Paddington fans (and so am I!!) so need to find the Paddington station and area of London where filmed. Also, we are huge Mary Poppins fans so would be cool to see the neighbourhood and some of the buildings featured in the movie. I also love markets so want to find a good one. I am a huge fan of exploring squares and walking around so hopefully weather will be ok (if not, ok to take the tube). I may try and make it to a museum depending on how much I can get to and will definitely try and see some shows one or two evenings and dinners in different squares. I am travelling on my own. Hopefully can get some shopping in as I stroll around .
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 03:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> as I won't be able to hit the main sights until late afternoon. <<

Many site are nowhere near the Marathon Route. It mainly hugs the river and in to East London. Unfortunately -- most of the places you list ARE impacted by the route. BTW - Buckingham Palace and Parliament are really just walk-by's.

>>area of London where filmed<<. There is no 'area' . . . The exterior of Marylebone station, some interiors at Paddington station, Notting Hill/Portobello Rd, a house exterior in Primrose Hill and a few others scattered around.

>>Also, we are huge Mary Poppins fans so would be cool to see the neighbourhood and some of the buildings featured in the movie.<<

AFAIK nothing at all of Mary Poppins was filmed in the UK -- I think it was entirely filmed in LA.

Do you have any specific questions?
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much - ok forget Paddington and Mary Poppins... LOL!
What else in London would you recommend seeing on Sunday? Are there particular markets that I can go to or a particular area of London worth spending an entire morning away from Marathon route?
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 05:10 PM

Check out Spencer House, a lovely example of an 18th century aristocratic townhouse, tours available on Sundays...

Home | Spencer House
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 05:58 PM

Portobello Road market in Notting Hill is open all day every Saturday. They have antiques, cafes, food etc. I'm not sure about times/tickets but I loved the tour at the Tower of London. I'm sure you can find info on this site or just google it. If your free time is limited, you may want to consider the hop on/off tour bus. You can hit a lot of sights in a limited time.
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 06:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>If your free time is limited, you may want to consider the hop on/off tour bus.<<

I sure wouldn't.

Big waste of money and very slow stuck in traffic over most of the routes. If one actually hops off to visit a site or just walk around there can be a long wait for the next bus - or the next one having available seats.
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 11:08 PM

Check the marathon route to see where you might be impacted: London Marathon Route - Your Interactive London Marathon Guide In central London, you could be a few streets away and not know it's going on.

Sunday markets: Spitalfields , Brick Lane and Columbia Road should all be accessible from near St Paul's - just take the Central Line from St Paul's to Liverpool Street.

To use the scheduled buses to "fly by" major attractions and public buildings (but without commentary): https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/visitors-and...s?intcmp=40408
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 12:37 AM

As Patrick says Cokumba Road market - fun for all the flowers , eating places .
the 2 nd Saturday you could go to Borough Market .
The Marathon would mostly impact taxi and bus travel.
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. This is really helpful.

I will be walking a lot *fingers crossed it doesn't rain too much!) and so I am wondering whether there is a walking app that I can download that will tell me where to turn and how to get somewhere rather than having to look at map or print directions. Kind of like a Garmin GPS but for walking.
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 12:15 AM

The Citymapper app is great for London.
Looks like the weather is improving next week - what it will be like April 25 is anyone's guess, though!