Travelling to Liverpool

Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Travelling to Liverpool

Hi there

I'm a Singaporean and is interested in travelling to Liverpool to watch the home game (BPL Football) there.

Could any of you guys prefabably from Singapore or Asia share with me your experience or itenary during your stay in Liverpool?

I have never been to the UK before and is planning on a trip in late May.
I'm planning for 7 days trip so obviously, I also plan to do some sight seeing / shopping etc beside watching the match itself.

There are some question that I like to ask:

1. Is there any travel agency who actually make arrangement for such kind of trip?
2. How about match tickets? Is there anyway to buy it online or in advance from somewhere?
3. Cost of Lodging and food. As mention before, I've never been to UK so I have no idea the cost of a meal or the hotel stay.

Sorry for my many questions!
Appreciate it if someone can give me some advise!
Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:56 AM

There is only one Premier League home game for Liverpool scheduled for May 2011. This is on May 15 versus Tottenham (Spurs) and may be subject to change for TV purposes. Liverpool have been knocked out of the FA Cup, so won't be playing at Wembley in May.

If you are over in late May, then the season will be over with no games to attend. 7 days in Liverpool will be a bit much--you can comfortably see what the place has to offer in a couple of days.

Cost depends on what standard of hotel you want. 4 star would cost around £80/100 per night whilst a smaller guest house around £40ish. Similarly with food-a Chinese type meal would cost around £25 depending on what you order, without alcohol, whilst pub food would be around £15. Full restaurant could cost anywhere around £30ish for a fairly standard type place, again without drinks.

Tickets for the game are best monitored on www.liverpoolfc.tv but Spurs will be a popular fixture so cpould be a sell out. Ticket touts operate outside the ground on days leading up to the game and definitely on match days, but expect to pay two to four times face value.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:57 AM

"planning on a trip in late May."

Well, your first port of call has to be http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/match/fixt...=lfc_tag_cloud

The last scheduled match of the season at Anfield is on May 15. For the following six weeks or so, most Premiership teams are on holiday before some kind of July international tournament.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Guys you're right. I overlook the villa fixture to be an away game. Too bad I'm currently pursuing my part time degree and my exam happen to fall on May.

There's no way I could make it in time for Spurs match.

I beieve the plan has to be delay.

Lifeman:
Thanks for your detailed advise on the cost for food and lodging.

Do you have any idea how to get the ticks for the match?
Is Liverpoolfc.tv the only way to get the ticks?
Feb 23rd, 2011, 07:09 AM

Eric_Tan, for home fixtures (i.e. at Anfield) the normal route is to buy them through the club itself. However, Liverpool, as you know, is a big club and tickets for people who aren't Season Ticket holders or club members can be hard to obtain, particularly for popular games (the last game of the season will always be a sell-out). They also only sell tickets a few weeks before the game.

HOWEVER, there are options for international visitors such as yourself, although it will cost more than the normal ticket price. You can buy a package through Liverpool's official travel partner Thomas Cook Travel, which will get you a ticket plus one night's accommodation nearby. See this link:

http://www.thomascooksport.com/Footb...C?ac=lfcfooter

The other option would be to buy a ticket from an online ticket seller or holiday package company. I won't recommend one as I never know how 'official' they are – perhaps others can advise.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 07:11 AM

If you're going to delay, then the new season doesn't start until mid August. The fixtures won't be reelased until mid July.

There are, apart from direct from Liverpool or touts, agencies you can google who will sell you tickets at inflated prices. These are dressed up as "hospitality", a meal before the game etc.

Alternatively, spend your time wisely and try to get tickets for Manchester United.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Dear Kate

That's a really nice recommendation from Thomas Cook Travel.
(Although I did notice the price is a bit steep)
Since Lifeman already mention earlier that 7 days in Liverpool is too much, I believe I can just spend 1 day in Liverpool and the rest of my tour elsewhere.

Well, I believe I got most of the advise I need.
Next is just to plan out my and of course, the match schedule in order to make this trip a reality.

Really appreciate all of your help here!
Thank you so much, guys!
Aug 27th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi Guys!

Finally, it's going to happen!
I've got the tickets for the liverpool match against Blackburn on boxing day.

The problem is the match day itself is on 26th.
I will reach Manchester airport on 24th(11am) and I will rejoin my tour group on 28th (6am) morning in London.

This actually leave me some spare time in between the match days. Well, for someone who hasn't been to the UK before, I will need some advise here on where to spend my free time.
Is there any interesting thigs I can do within Liverpool or nearby?

Also, I will need some recommendations on the accomodation.
Somewhere that is accessible to malls and food within Liverpool.

Lastly, what is the best and economical way to travel from the airport to hotel. As you may foresee, I will be carrying my big luggage so I will try to avoid congest situations.

1 more thing. I'm chinese. Will this pose a problem during my stay there? I have seen in forums that many asians have encounter racial abuse during their trip to countries in Europe.

Sorry for my many questions and thank you so much in advance for the advise!
Aug 28th, 2011, 02:38 AM

Eric, your travel arrangements are going to be greatly affected by the public holidays on the 25th and 26th of December. On Christmas Day, the 25th. there will probably be no public transport whatsoever and it will be curtailed on Christmas Eve the 24th as you arrive. Most public buildings and attractions will be closed for the holidays reopening on Wenesday the 28th.

If you must be in Liverpool, then get there as soon as possible after you land and check in to your hotel. On the day of the match, the best way to Anfield will be by taxi and be aware that you might struggle to get a cab after the game due to demand.

You will find pubs and restaurants open and if you are interested in the Beatles, then there will be some of the attractions open.

Get you hotel booked now, try www.lastminute.com or www.laterooms.com

Manchester Aiport to Liverpool is via Manchester city centre. You can bus in to the city, then catch a train to Liverpool from there.

Lastly you shouild have no problem with being from Singapore. Liverpool and Manchester both have large Chinese and Asian communities that are well integrated into the area.
Aug 28th, 2011, 04:03 AM

If you're arriving at MCR on Xmas Eve, just get the train to Liverpool Lime St direct from the airport (trains don't stop till about 10 pm on Xmas Eve on that line). Back to London direct on the train.

In my experience (which on this special subject is considerable) this is far too early to book a Liverpool hotel for Christmas. No-one can predict accurately how full Liverpool hotels are going to be at Christmas, so they typically price high in August/September to capture the highest income from the nervous. In fact, I've never stayed in a full central Liverpool hotel over Christmas, and the local hotel industry begins to realise how many empty rooms they're looking at about early November. At that point, we go onto Priceline to see what's being offered - though Laterooms and lastminute are worth checking too.

It's then a game of chicken: for peace of mind we normally stop and book in the first week of December, but I suspect it'd be a great deal cheaper if we waited till Dec 23.

Central Liverpool 4* chain hotels are all no more than 10 years old (its rather older Raffles not quite equivalent, the Adelphi, isn't most people's idea of fun), and practically indistinguishable from each other. I'd just go for a mystery place (the Adelphi's not on any reputable booking engine): all the four-star places are within a 10 min walk of each other and within a 15 min walk of Lime St). If you want to examine individual sites, the Hilton, Crowne Plaza, Malmaison, Radisson and Novotel are almost identical to each other, though the Staybridge Suites might work better for a four night spell.

Both the city's cathedrals have good choirs, and Midnight Mass at either (with an exceptionally alcohol-fuelled congregation at the Catholic cathedral when Xmas Eve's a Saturday) are a major part of the local tradition.

Just about everything's closed (even many city centre pubs) on Xmas Day. This makes it a terrific day to walk round England's best preserved Victorian city (More buildings listed for conservation than anywhere outside London: and a UNESCO World Heritage site - which is more than Oxford or boring old Stratford can manage). In spite of the claptrap you claim to have read, (and I challenge you to quote a single example), walking around is perfectly safe: even at midnight. You might care to examine the streets around the Anglican cathedral: though no longer lived in much by Europe's oldest and best-integrated Chinese community (who've moved to the posher suburbs decades ago, and will be as offended as the rest of us by your gullible churning out of racist stereotypes) it's still the best centre in Europe for Shanghainese food

Liverpool's also got Britain's biggest range of free museums outside London. Visit them. Or, on your free days, one traditional post-Christmas exercise is a lengthy walk along the area's almost endless beaches. Winters are mild (frost and snow is rarer than in London), though wet, and you can usually manage 10-15 miles bracing walk a Singaporean might find chilly, but tolerable properly clad. The pinewoods at Formby, with a glorious population of red squirrels, are the best way of getting to the beaches.

If you can organise it, there are three British Open golf courses (all accessible by train) within 20 miles of the city: two within a couple of hundred yards of a station on the local suburban railway network

There's also the Beatles stuff. If you're interested.

I look forward to seeing your evidence for this outbreak of racist sterotyping among Singapore's allegedly well-educated and cosmopolitan population.
Aug 28th, 2011, 05:52 AM

I stayed at the Staybridge Suites in Liverpool and would recommend it...the rooms all come with a small kitchen, so if you can get to M&S before it closes on the 24th you can stock up on some food and then not need to worry about what is open for lunch or dinner...it's an easy walk into town and practically on The Mersey for some good walking. My son and his uncle are driving up from London on the 26th for that match also to join his Liverpool family season ticket holders...he should have a great day out, and provide me and my wife with a day of peace in London...lol...have fun, Liverpool is an amazing city, and as Flanner said, has some of the best architecture...it's also full of very amusing, friendly locals!!
Aug 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi Lifeman, Flanneruk and kmowatt

Thank you so much for your advise.
I've check up the accomodation recommended and so far I found Novotel to be the cheapest. 3 nights for USD 389.55 (without breakfast) though I might consider the highly recommended Staybridge Suites since they have a full kitchen available.

However,it really sucks to know that everywhere is close on Christmas. After all, its the other way round in Singapore where all the shops and restaurants will be open to cater for us (who seldom do the cooking). Perhaps I should done my research earlier before booking the flight.

Well , I guess even after walking around the city on 24th, I will still have some time available on Christmas itself. The last thing I wan to do is to spend the whole day in the hotel room on Christmas itself. I was thinking whether is it possible to travel out of Liverpool , perhaps to some zoo or attractions nearby within the day itself.

Also, how long approx is the journey to Anfield from the city(by cab)?

Btw,Flanneruk, I apologize if you feel offended from the question I posed. It's just that we have heard that some football fans have died during matches between Italian and English teams in the past. There is also a case whereby a Singaporean is murdered for refusing to lend a light in the States. I'm travelling with only my girlfriend and perhaps , tat's why I try to be cautious (maybe a little too much)in such situation.

Anyway, since I've got your assurance that Liverpool is going to be a safe place, I've guess I got nothing to worry about.
Besides,I've seen 1st hand on how the locals are so helpful towards tourist like us.

Greatly appreciate!