Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Travelling to Italy from Christmas Eve to January 3rd...need advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travelling-to-italy-from-christmas-eve-to-january-3rd-need-advice-810800/)

anamari Oct 18th, 2009 08:11 AM

Travelling to Italy from Christmas Eve to January 3rd...need advice

Hello all, my wife and I are planning our first trip to Italy over the holidays and are trying to decide how much time to spend in different cities. We were thinking of doing 4nights in Rome, 3 in Florence and 2 in Venice. So, my questions are:
1) Are many attractions close during this time of year? Would it be a wasted trip becuase of closures?
2)Is this a good allocation of time in each city?
3)Would you recommend side trips to Naples and Siena?

Thank you so much in advance! We are totally clueless as to how to plan this

Apres_Londee Oct 18th, 2009 08:34 AM

I don't think it would be a wasted trip at all. It would be best to look up the websites of the museums and attractions you want to visit to see exactly what days they are closed. Although museums will be closed on Christmas day and New Year's, the churches will be open and just walking around exploring is wonderful.

For time allotment, it's more a question of individual preference. Your itinerary would be too quick for me, but a lot of people divide Rome, Florence and Venice over 9-10 days so it's not unreasonable.

I don't think you have time for a side trip to Naples and if you go to Siena you'll only have about a day and half for Florence. Again it's personal preference- that would work for some, not for others.

Definitely look into open jaws flights, where you fly into Rome and out of Venice.

Apres_Londee Oct 18th, 2009 08:36 AM

I meant to say, I spent the week between xams and new year's in Rome last year and I thought it was a great time to visit. It wasn't all that crowded and there wasn't a lot of traffic on the streets.

anamari Oct 20th, 2009 04:21 PM

Thanks Apres_Londee.

This may sound like a stupid question, but will restaurants be closed xmas day and the 26th?

nytraveler Oct 20th, 2009 04:43 PM

Yes, most thing wil be closed Christmas day - so you need to plan that arefully. On the 26 things houls be open. New Years Day things will also be closed. Andyou need to check sights carefully, since in the offseason any have shoret hours (for instance only form 10 am to 2 pm - andn ot reopen in the afternoon).

Grcxx3 Oct 20th, 2009 06:36 PM

We did Italy about that time a couple of years ago.

Yes - there are days when nothing happens, but with some research, you can work out things to do. Christmas Day was pretty dull - but we slept late and just spent the day walking around the city. Then the day after, when most things were still closed, we took a train and did a day-trip to Pompeii.

Just check websites for closings and work out a schedule.