Dublin arrival dilemma

Search

Dublin arrival dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dublin arrival dilemma

We land (not this) Monday morning in Dublin around 7:30. After picking up our luggage and rental car, we had hoped to drop off our stuff at the b&b we're staying at in Malahide that night and walk to the DART station to go into Dublin for the day. Well, the innkeepers would like us there after 10:00 - rightfully so since they'll be taking care of other guests. Can we park at the DART? Will it be full by the time we get there? Are there other places we can park?
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:05 AM

Is there some reason you're picking up the car just to park it for the day? Why not wait until you leave Dublin to pick up the car - then this would;t be an issue?
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:09 AM

I agree. Use public transport in Dublin, then pick up the car when you leave. I drove in Dublin on my first trip and would never do it again. Take a cab to your B&B, drop your luggage off there (I'm sure you can just drop it off), and carry on for the day! It won't be a real long day anyway--you'll probably be ready for bed by 7 or 8 if not sooner!!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

The innkeeper was pretty clear on us not arriving before 10 am. Also, I'm not sure I want to go back and forth between the airport, it seems like a waste of time. Our packaged car pickup is at the airport.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 12:02 PM

While I agree that you can easily survive without a car in Dublin, my very first European trip was to Dublin, and I rented a car and drove out of the airport with it and around town. First time on the wrong side of the road (though I was smart enough to get an automatic!)

It isn't impossible, though I'm sure the traffic is worse now than it was a couple years ago, as the commerce and industry is growing.

My first day I simply drove around and found parking where I wanted to -- and then took the hopon/hopoff bus ride all day
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:33 PM

Hi Yale:

I agree that you don't need a car while in Dublin though you can easily drive to malahide with the car and park it. You are just paying for the day(s).

Here's the trick. You of course have to wait for your bags to come off and quite frankly, with all the time you have, don't try to be the 1st one off the plane Then you'll have to go through customs. That will take a bit of time. It seems like there is always construction at the Dublin airport, so you may spend some time wandering down some long halls. You'll need to find an ATM and pick up some Euros. By that time, you may be thirsting for a bit of caffeine, so a trip to the coffee shop may be in order. Then you get to wait in line for your rental car and then wander out to the lot, find it and check it for damage, figure out what all the knobs and buttons are for, cram your bags into the vehicle and stare at your map again.

Quite frankly, with all that you have to do to get out of the airport, I wouldn't worry too much about the 10:00 time. If you get there early, park the car for 30 minutes or so and wander around Malahide. It's amazing how much time you can (and need to) spend in an airport after you arrive, and that is assuming that your plane lands on time.

I hope this helps.

Bill
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm sure the airport will eat up some time. But if we're early, I need to know exactly where I can park the car in Malahide for the day. Does the DART have a lot? We don't mind paying.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 08:06 AM

Wojazz is right you may actually not get there until ten if you take your time.

Just a note to all about Driving in Dublin. Malahide is close to the airport and NOT in Dublin City so it would be fine to drive to the dart station and get the train in. Be careful though about leaving all your luggage on view at the station.

You should get your luggage, rent the car and drive to the village for breakfast in a coffee shop or have it at the airport. I guarantee you this will keep you occupied til 10 or even later.

Have a nice trip
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 05:21 AM

Hi Yale,

Malahide DART/Train station has a car park and it is FREE! The only thing that I can remember about the car park is that it filled up very quickly on a work day. It is a popular commuter station and because parking is free the spaces in the car park fill up quickly. With most commuters in work for 9am, the car park will almost certainly be full by 8am.

You can try it on the morning and see. As far as I can remember on street parking is pay and display. Here is a link to a local web site that gives details about parking. http://malahide.muintir.ie/parking.htm

One last thing - sneaky people try to free park in the Grand Hotel car park which is not too far from the station. Are you sneaky enough???

ps
SiobhanP makes a very important point. Your rental car will stick out, so please be careful and DO NOT leave anything on show. Put everything in the trunk!! Even in Malahide!!!

Have a good trip.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. This is a good plan B if things do run early and we can't get into our b&b. I appreciate all the feedback.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Malahide is a terrible place to find parking. As someone else has already pointed out, the Dart station does have a carpark but it will almost certainly be full by about 8.00am. There is some disc parking in the village area (you buy a ticket from a machine) but for the most part parking is nearly always a problem in the town.

Why don't you drive to your B&B and just park the car there without checking in - then go for a walk by the sea, have a bit of breakfast, and then return to your B&B and check in after 10.00am?
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 07:07 AM

If this is your first time in the area, my guess is that if you are like me, you will be lucky to get to your B&B much before noon.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 07:47 AM

<<SiobhanP makes a very important point. Your rental car will stick out, so please be careful and DO NOT leave anything on show. Put everything in the trunk!! Even in Malahide!!!>>

This is sage advice for everywhere in Ireland. Do not leave backpacks or luggage out in the open if you can help it. I personally found a backpack on the side of the road with passports, car and house keys and a way to get a hold of the girl who lost it inside. (A tourist from Wales who says her rental car window was smashed when she "popped into a vistior center for 10 minutes" to get some opening hour times.) Allthey took was her money but she was lucky - they could have gotten on a ferry and broken into her house! We, obviously, returned her items to her.

I agree with the other posters (Bill, your post cracked me up because it's SO TRUE!!!) you will probably be right on time if not a bit late or possibly early to your B&B.