Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Travelling the Schengen while waiting for a residence permit (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travelling-the-schengen-while-waiting-for-a-residence-permit-1000716/)

gparismactim Dec 22nd, 2013 09:22 AM

Travelling the Schengen while waiting for a residence permit

I'm having a few visa troubles. I'm an Australian citizen who entered Europe through Amsterdam on the 26th of August this year & got a stamp - went straight to Denmark where I have been studying at a school. There the school arranged for me to have a residence permit but it is still currently processing. I planned to travel to Norway, Sweden and France over this christmas break to visit friends and relatives and was told everything would be OK if I got a re-entry visa. So I applied for one writing the countries I was going to visit on it - but came across a very cranky immigration officer in Copenhagen who only wrote 'valid for Denmark' not 'valid for Schengen States' like other people at my school got. I am intending to fly from Stockholm to Paris but do not know if I will get held up or in trouble because of this visa. I flew to Oslo without any issues, and drove across to Sweden. I do have the option to drive back into Denmark if the visa is not valid but I have paid a lot of money for this ski holiday and would love to go. I don't know if French authorities will hold me up with this passport? No embassy or consulate has been able to give me an answer. The danish immigration officer told me the visa was only valid for Denmark, not for Schengen. It says 'type D' under visa type. Is there a risk I will get deported or fined or even go through a passport control on the way from stockholm to paris or back from Paris to Copenhagen? Ps. my tourist Schengen visa would have expired around early December as I went to the UK for about 5 days. So i'm only a couple of weeks past that. Thanks!

janisj Dec 22nd, 2013 10:22 AM

>> I don't know if French authorities will hold me up with this passport? <<

Neither does anyone on this forum.

And probably not even the authorities can give you a definitive answer, since you might meet another 'cranky' border agent.

sofarsogood Dec 22nd, 2013 10:58 AM

If you believe the Danish immigration officer's decision was incorrect then can you appeal? Until that decision is overturned then, and if you have no paperwork that allows you to enter another country, then of course you could get into trouble with the authorities.

Just because you want to go skiing doesn't mean you should or indeed can. Do you think immigration rules shouldn't apply to you?

sassy27 Dec 22nd, 2013 11:15 AM

I don't know why people here have to post snarky responses but I really do wish I could help you. Unless someone here has been in the same situation as yourself, I do not think you will get information that will actually be useful but one never knows and it doesn't hurt to ask.

Is there an official at your school who can help? I personally would be wary and wouldn't go until the problem was resolved however only you can make that decision. If you do go just be prepared for the worst.

janisj Dec 22nd, 2013 11:19 AM

Who was snarky???

No one here knows - even IF they faced the same situation. Different traveler, different details, different border agent(s) . . . . Different result.

sassy27 Dec 22nd, 2013 11:31 AM

Did I name any names?

Maybe someone here can or can't help. Who knows but it doesn't hurt to ask.

janisj Dec 22nd, 2013 11:54 AM

Well since only two,others responded you were calling one of us snarky . .. Still don't see any snark.

No one said the OP shouldn't ask, but there is no way anyone here knows the answer. Even a couple who happen to be immigration lawyers.