Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelling Solo Spain - getting cold feet!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flights booked. Apr29 to Barcelona, flying back from Madrid May17/13. Staying in Barcelona 4nights. Have been there couple of times. Never enough! Flying on May4 for Malaga. Have rental for 1wk, 40kms west of it.
While there, plan to do daytrips to Malaga, Alhambra, Ronda, Mijas.
Then for May11-17, plan to go to Sevilla for 3night and on to Madrid for 3.

Need to fit in Cordoba. Ideas? I could cut short the wk in Malaga.

But most importantly, as a woman travelling solo, feeling a little concerned about safety, particularly train travel and to/fro to hotels. I will be employing all the commonsense like leav ing valuables home, using moneybelt under clothes, and will pack light. Still as I read the forums, can't help feeling anxious!!
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 03:26 PM

Don't know if this helps but I'm traveling alone myself, to Paris, then Spain to see family, then Venice for one month. I will see friends in between but most of the time I'm alone. So . . . I get concerned at times and then I talk to myself, reminding myself how long it's been and how much I wanted to do this. I'm staying in apartments but I think hotels may actually be safer. Have a great time--you'll be fine if you're careful. Whatever you do, don't let people fill you up with stories (as my sister does to me) of women who have had problems. It's rare and most of them took unnecessary chances.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 03:30 PM

I spent 3 weeks in Spain in 2012, and I never felt the least concern for my safety. I think one has to take good care of one's purse, because the purse is a prime target for any thief.

I traveled exclusively by train on my last trip and had no concerns at all. There was one instance where a woman was obviously going to try to steal my purse, but she was unsuccessful, mainly because I was alert.

I also walked all over Málaga, Madrid, and Barcelona on this trip and never felt any concerns about safety.

By the way, I am a 77-year-old white-haired woman.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 03:45 PM

Personally if I had a week and wanted to visit Malaga, Granada, Ronda and Mijas I'd probably base myself in Malaga. I'd also add a night to Sevilla and Madrid (taking time from the week in the Malaga area. With the additional night in Madrid you'd have time to stop en route from Sevilla to Madrid and do a daytrip to Cordoba. I'd personally take a couple of days from the Malaga area, even skipping Mijas and Ronda if necessary, and spend 2 nights in Cordoba. You'll be there during the Patio Festival and it's a beautiful time to visit.

I wouldn't worry about traveling solo in Spain. I've done it nearly 20 times in the last 10 years without any incidents - and I don't wear a moneybelt or pack light Just exercise sound common sense.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 04:08 PM
kja

I (female) spent about 3.5 weeks alone in Spain in 2004 with no troubles. I should note that I didn't visit Barcelona, Malaga, or Mijas. Instead, I was in Madrid, Segovia, Avila, Salamanca, Toledo, Granada, Las Alpujarras, Cordoba, Ronda, and Seville. Loved it! Used trains and buses to get around, a rare taxi, but mostly on foot while in cities/towns.

> Need to fit in Cordoba.

Definitely worthwhile! I spent close to 2 full days (and 2 nights) there, and enjoyed it tremendously.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank-you all for the encouragement!! Yes, do talk to myself a lot. Did China solo in '09 and never felt a moment's anxiety!
I will plan on 2 nights in Cordoba, taking it from Malaga. Already have 3 nghts Seville as well as 3 in Madrid. Also, will be staying in upscale, centrally located hotels which will provide a level of security.

Would you recommend city tours with guides in these places or do it myself?
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 04:30 PM

City guides vs do it yourself is all a matter of personal preference. I like to wing it by myself. But if you're on a tight timeframe and have a good local guide they can be a wealth of information.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 05:03 PM
lyb

I traveled alone to Barcelona, Seville, Granada & Madrid two years ago. I never felt at risk, of course I was careful just like I do when I'm home. I took the train in between cities, the subway in both Barcelona & Madrid, but I did take taxis between train station & hotels.

I walked around at night as well to see sights at night as well.

You'll be fine, I envy you returning to Spain.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 08:17 PM

You might want to download some of Maribel's Guides to help with your planning (www.maribelsguides.com). Like CathyM, you may want to "wing" some of this adventure, but you need to have enough information to make the proper decisions
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 04:01 AM

I'm surprised you worry about traveling alone on trains in Spain or to/from the airport. I don't understand why, it's not different than any other country I've been to in Europe, and you've been there several times, you say. I just don't even understand why going to/from the airport is a point of concern. Spain has modern, good trains, why would they be a concern? I used the airport bus in Barcelona as it is cheap and convenient, and in Madrid I used a group van service from the airport/taxi to go back. I just don't know what your concerns are about safety and the airport transportation, so hard to comment. I'd have some plan as to which method you'll use.

You can find info on the Barcelona airport bus online, but if you've been there a couple times, you must know all about it. For Madrid, I used Aerocity and they were very good. YOu don't have to book ahead online, you can decide when you get there, but you get a discount on the ticket if you reserve ahead. http://www.aerocity.com/en/
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

It's the bad rap that Barcelona has about pickpockets/mugging that made me concerned. But you're all right - it's no different from any city anyplace, including at home. That's it!
With confidence, I venture forth!
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 09:01 AM

Please report back if you have time. I am planning solo trip in fall right now--first trip to Spain. Am getting more and more enthused about being solo (esp. after reading that amazing and apparently renowned post by Barb from 2005--her trip leading the "Divas" to Italy. Will make you really glad you're going alone. Was easy to find and an amazing read, esp. all the comments.)
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 12:50 PM

Don't worry about that... Spain is a safely place in general, just take care with your things (in biggest cities the pickpockets are really usual) and just take common sense (don't go at periferic neigborhoods at night, don't trust in "really friendly people", etc...).
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 01:33 PM
JMR

I can relate with this topic. I lived in Spain (area around Barcelona) and took weekend long trips to the south. I felt safe traveling and wandering by myself during my excursions to different towns except for once: Granada (Alahmbra). It was partly due to lack of planning. I did not have a room booked and I was there during peak holiday weekend. I wandered the streets knocking door to door (hotels, B&Bs, hostels) to find a bed, nothing! This went on from late afternoon and the darker it got, the more I was scared. And since I walked quite a bit I wouldnt have like wandering on foot around town even if I was already settle in and just wanted to scope out the neighborhood. HOwever, Sevilla is a different story. I walked all over, even got lost but found my way back, stayed out for dinner and flamenco show, and walked the streets some more. And yes, you can fit in Cordoba! Cut back a day from Madrid, and a day from Sevilla to make room for Cordoba! I think my best advise for solo travelling whether for a man or woman, is to just be around where there are lots of pedestrians. Have a great sense of direction and just blend with the locals.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 08:09 PM

By the way, forgot to add that I spent 6 weeks in Italy in 2009 by myself (stayed in 2 B&Bs and had a month in a great studio apartment in Florence). The only thing that occasionally bothered me was eating dinner alone, but I often met people or ended up chatting with people I met in restaurants. It helps that I can manage in French, Italian and have some Spanish as well. But I would have had fun just speaking English too. Yes, in Italy I was able to blend in fairly well. Buenas suerte (good luck!) y buen viaje.