Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Travelling in Switzerland & Paris
Notices

Travelling in Switzerland & Paris

Oct 1st, 2012, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Travelling in Switzerland & Paris

I’ll be travelling to Zurich on 24th Oct(morning) but will be staying at Lucerne, plan to have a city tour in Zurich and later in the evening move to Lucerne.

1.What are the train frequencies from Zurich to Lucerne?(in case im suck in Zurich till late evenings)
2.Are there tours to Mount Jungfrau from Lucerne and what is the approx. cost of the tour
3. Can I catch the TGV to Paris from Lucerne(travel date 27th Oct). or could you provide me with some other train options, and what is the cost?
4.Which station in Paris do I have to alight at(closest to CDG airport and Paris City)

thanx guys..
Oct 1st, 2012, 07:20 AM

You can find info at all trains at bahn.de. this is the German rail site and is good for schedules only. You will have to buy tickets in Switzerland - or can go to the Swiss rail site now - but i find bahn.de easier.

CDG isn't near Paris. It has it's own train station, separate from the many other train stations actually in Paris,

There are trains from Lucerne to Gare de Lyon in Paris leaving about every hour. They have either 1 or 2 changes and take 4.5 to 5 hours.
Oct 1st, 2012, 07:57 AM

Actually, the swiss site is
www.sbb.ch/en
Trains betwen Zurich HB (main station) and Lucerne are frequent.
Oct 1st, 2012, 08:02 AM

Trains roll between Zurich Hbf (Hauptbahnhof or main station in town center) and Lucerne about every 15 minutes or so until late at night and takes about only 45 minutes. Never a problem getting a ticket - buy a ticket and then hop on any train anytime going to Lucerne.

Trains go frequently between the airport and the Zurich Hauptbahnhof as well. Some of these trains may go on direct to Lucerne but I think you normally would have to change trains at Zurich Hbf - check www.sbb.ch - the Swiss Railways official site for exact times but they go so frequently you do not really need exact schedules.

there probably are Jungfraujoch tours from Lucerne and you can easily do it on your own via public transporation but it takes all day going there and back and yes will cost at least a few hundred bucks. Consider instead taking a boat ride around gorgeous Lake Lucerne - say to get to Mt Rigi or take the trek up Mt Pilatus, two famous Alpine peaks right near Lucerne.

For trains to Paris check www.voyages-sncf.com - the French railways web site or www.sbb.ch - Swiss site - you can get some discounts by booking far in advance but those cannot be changed nor refunded I believe so be sure of your date and time.

Trains from Zurich come into Paris-Est or East station, right next door to the Gare du Nord from where you can take trains to CDG airport.

For lots of great info on European trains I always spotlight these IMO superb sites - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com and www.ricksteves.com.

You can always buy a ticket Lucerne to Paris on the spot but you will pay oodles more than pre-booking - no direct TGVs from Lucerne to Paris I believe but there are from Zurich and Bern, short train rides from Lucerne.

Search this Thread