Travelling in Southwest Germany

Old May 31st, 1999, 06:03 PM
Ann & Todd Olson

Travelling in Southwest Germany

We are thinking about going to southwest Germany the last couple of weeks in September. We have a tentative itinerary planned (see below) but we would like any additional suggestions.

Thanks in advance for all your good ideas.

Day 1 Arrive Frankfurt

Day 2 From Frankfurt take train to Wiesbaden (1 hour) and on to Rudesheim (< 1 hour). Spend day and night in Rudensheim and Assmannhausen (on Rhine River).

Day 3 Depart Ruddenshiem for Heidelberg via boat on Rhine. Spend day and night in Heidelberg.

Day 4 Depart Heidelberg for Baden-Baden (Black Forest) via boat on Rhine (?). Spend remainder of day and night in Baden-Baden.

Day 5 Enjoy hiking and spa in Baden-Baden and spend night there.

Day 6 In early am, depart Baden-Baden for Stuttgart via train (1 hours). Spend day and night.

Day 7 Depart Stuttgart for Munich (2-3 hours depending on train). Spend day and night in Munich.

Day 8 Spend day and night in Munich.

Day 9 Depart Munich in early am for Augsburg (30-50 minutes). Spend a few hours and head to Nordlingen (1 hour). See the sights and head to Wurzburg (? 3 hours) for the night.

Day 10 Take train to Rothenburg ob der Tauber (30 minutes) and spend day. Head back to Wurzburg for night.

Day 11 Spend day in Wurzburg. Head to Frankfurt (1- hours) and spend night by airport.

Day 12 Depart for USA.

Depart Frankfurt

Old May 31st, 1999, 06:32 PM
Lara

Wow, sounds like great fun!

Unless you're planning on seeing the Porsche or Mercedes factories, you may want to forego Stuttgart in favor of spending a day seeing Ludwig's castles in Bavaria. It's an easy day trip from Munich and well worth it.

Have a good time, whatever you do!

Old May 31st, 1999, 06:33 PM
Lara

Wow, sounds like great fun!

Unless you're planning on seeing the Porsche or Mercedes factories, you may want to forego Stuttgart in favor of spending a day seeing Ludwig's castles in Bavaria. It's an easy day trip from Munich and well worth it.

Have a good time, whatever you do!

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 05:07 AM
Doug

I would pass on Stuttgart too unless you have family there. It's a big, boring city. Visit the Royal Castles and see the Alps. I would suggest going from Nordlingen to Rothenburg then Wurzburg. You're backtracking otherwise. There are some very quaint, historic inns along the Romantic Road. Try a search on this site for hotels in Rothenburg - we had a bunch of great suggestions about a month ago. The Hotel Sonne in Nordlingen is also a great place to stay. It's a couple hundred years old and right inside the old city walls. You can wake up early, walk alone around the town and feel like you're back in the Middle Ages.

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 09:16 AM
Tom

I have two quick suggestions. I travelled to most of you spots about six months ago. First, I'd recommend renting a car. It was nice to have the flexibility at a moderate cost (AutoEurope). Second, I didn't think much of Augsburg. Rothenburg, Swabish Hall and other small town near the Neckar Valley are more personable and interesting. I also loved the Alps. Oberammergau (sp?) and Garmish were beautiful, near several castles and a surprisingly short drive from Munich (though perhaps in the wrong direction since you're doubling back to Frankfurt).

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 05:43 PM
Bob

I agree on skipping Stuttgart. I lived in Stuttgart for two years in the Army. It is a great city and very nice, but limited on tourist appeal. I would also try to get to Bavaria and the Alps. This area beats Wurzburg and Augsburg. Do a little of the Rhine then get a car and do Heidelberg, to Rothenburg, down the Romantic Road to Fussen and Neuschwanstein and over to Garmisch them up to Munich and back if you have the time. The Alps are magnificient. Do not miss them to see Stuttgart.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 02:39 PM
ann

Thanks for all the suggestions. We have family in Stuttgart so will have to make that a stop. Thinking about skipping Augsburg and adding another stop along the Romantic Road.