Search

Travelling in Scandinavia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travelling in Scandinavia

Hi,
I'll be travelling in Scandinavia in June for about 10 days with our school age daughter. We fly in and out of Copenhagen. We're pretty active and would like to visit several places in Sweden and Norway, maybe spending a night or two in each place. We want to avoid travelling with all of our luggage the entire trip, perhaps leaving the larger part of it in Copenhagen and taking smaller bags on our side trips. Can anyone think of a safe and efficient way to store our luggage for a few days without paying for an entire hotel room. Also, I'd love to hear of any experience travelling in that part of Europe, especially any experience with short hiking trips or nature parks/areas. Thanks!
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:32 AM

You could ask the hotel in Copenhagen to storage you luggage. They would probably be willing to do this, if you stay with them before and after your round-trip.

That said; 10 days isn't very long to visit Denmark, Sweden and Norway!

What would be possible; arrive in Copenhagen, stay there at least one night. Then drive north to Hirtshals or Fredrikshavn and take the night-boat to Oslo, Kristianssand or Stavanger (and maybe there are other possibilities to go to in Norway). Take a small driving tour through te bottom-part of Norway, try to limit yourself to 2 sleeping-adresses (driving in fjord-area takes a lot of time!). End the trip in Oslo and then drive through Sweden back to Copenhagen. This last part is possible in about 6 hours, but you could for instance stay one night in Goteborg. You can then take the ferry to Fredrikshavn, or drive a little further and take the ferry from Helsingbor to Helsingor. Or drive to Malmo and take the Oresond-bridge tot Denmark.

It will be a busy trip, but with a little planning it should be possible.
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:55 AM

You could possibly try leaving your luggage at the airport in Copenhagen - there are lockers there, though I'm not sure how long you are allowed to leave stuff in them (I only left belongings in them over night).

FYI there IS an overnight ferry/cruise-ship that goes regularly from Copenhagen to Oslo. I think the trip takes about 10 hours but as I said its an overnight trip and the ship has restaurants, a bar, movie theatre, pool on it. I can't remember the name of the boat at the moment but I'll try to dig it up.

As for hiking, in Denmark (around Copenhagen at least) the land is FLAT so it would be more walking than hiking. If you want to experience beautiful nature in Denmark (but are willing to travel a bit) you could go to the Island of Møn and see the cliffs: http://www.moen-touristbureau.dk/eng...mentilmon.html. I haven't been myself but my friends have and loved it - they did it as a day-trip from Copenhagen.

I can't really speak for Norway or Sweden much as I have only been to Stockholm and Oslo, but if you have any questions about Denmark ask away!
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:10 AM
nbujic

visiting Stockholm is a must!

Old May 25th, 2007, 11:49 PM

Saving time, I would suggest flying directly to the fjords from Copenhagen. You will use up valuable time if going via Oslo. There are direct flights from Copenhagen to Stavanger and Bergen. Maybe stay two nights in Bergen do the Nutshell daytrip from Bergen and fly on to Stockholm and do a daytrip to Stockholm Archipelago before returning to Copenhagen. And do the daytrip suggested to Møns Klint (hire a car, it's the best way) It beautiful there and quite a few steps from the cliff to the Ocean. Did count them once but forgotten the number.
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:55 PM

If you are flying into and out of Copenhagen, I don't understand the 'traveling with all of our luggage' issue.

Everything is north of Copenhagen and you must return to Copenhagen - basically you are looking at a circle tour. First to Norway, cross to Sweden and from Stockholm or whereever you are in Sweden, south to Copenhagen.
Or reverse the order.

Ten days is a short time for driving all three.

There are plenty of parks, beaches and lakes. In Sweden you can hike on any land you see - I can't remember what they call that system - but the Swedes REALLY respect the land and hiking and have this open land policy unlike the US where people POST their land and warn against trespassing!
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:17 AM

" I can't remember what they call that system"

They call it Everyman´s Right, and it is valid in Sweden, Norway and Finland. But not in Denmark.

You can camp and pick berries, mushrooms and flowers, swim, hike, whatever, where ever you like as long as it is not in somebody´s backyard. And as long as you don´t litter, and if you litter, you take your litter with you.