Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelling in Italy in November....I need HELP!!!

Jul 6th, 2000, 09:36 AM
Rose

My husband and I will be travelling in Italy in November 2000 for 14 days.....My husband has never been to Italy but I have travelled in 1991 with friends. I know the places I would like to visit which include such as Venice, Florence, Siena, Rome, Amalfi Coast, Postiano, Sorrento, Capri and Sicily. I need any suggestions regarding accommodations with moderate prices in any of these cities and close by to the sights. Any help is appreciated.....Thanks!!!!!

Jul 6th, 2000, 10:02 AM
Debbie Lee

Dear Rose,
My husband and I are also travelling to Italy for Oct / Nov, and have found all kinds of interesting information through this site, and some very kind folks as well (thanks Kit!) We have booked at the Il Bargellino in Florence, that I have heard wonderful revues about, and is very well priced for budget travellers. Also Albergo Olivedo in Varenna, Lake Como, and in Venice, the Guerrato. These are all places I have heard great reports on from folks who have stayed there, and I'll chime in with my own after November!! Hope this helps!!

Jul 6th, 2000, 12:12 PM
Carol

Hi Rose,
While in Rome last month we stayed at the Domus Julia B&B, it was fantastic. Check it out on their web site
http://www.hoteljulia.it/domusjulia/b&b/index.html
The pictures of the suite you see on the site is the room we had, room 30. We booked a triple room and that is what we were given. We were told that it is their best room. It was huge, with very big bathroom,air conditioning and tv too. It really was a 5* B&B. Breakfast is in the adjoining Hotel Julia and is buffet. They were very friendly and couldn't be more helpful. There is a small bar in the hotel were you can also get tea or coffee. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the Trevi Fountain. Don't forget to ask if they have any specials, we got quite a bit knocked off the bill because our stay included a Sunday. If you do a search on this board you will find other recomendations for the Julia.
Hope you have a great trip

Jul 6th, 2000, 01:02 PM
George

In May we stayed at the following hotels, all were moderately priced, well-located and more than adequate. Siena: Garden Hotel, a long walk or short drive to the town center, beautiful property with resort-like grounds, spectacular breakfast; Rome: Piaza di Spagna, about a block below the Spanish Steps on Maria di Fiori, charming and small, very quiet, Ristorante Il 34 directly across the street was our favorite in Rome; Venice: Hotel Do Pozzi, about two blocks from San Marcos Square, entered through a private courtyard, pleasant rooms, helpful staff, recommend taking a water taxi rather than vaporetto unless you're carrying light luggage.

Jul 6th, 2000, 05:06 PM
Marty

We just stayed at the Hotel al Piave in Venice and like it very much. We found it in Cheap Sleeps. The family suite was living/room-kitchen, new large bath and bedroom. The double room was much smaller but very nice done with a new bathroom. Both bathrooms had shower doors! The family suite was $170 per night and the double was $125 in June. I'm sure there are better rates in November. We plan to stay at the same place when we return in November ourselves. The hotel is fairly easy to find and in a very good location between San Marco and Rialto. It is only a few steps from Campo Santa Maria Formosa which was a large, lovely campo.