Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelling in Germany, Austria and Possibly Prague in March

Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

We will be travelling with our kids (21, 17, and 10) in Germany and a bit of Austria in early March. Starting in Nurenberg, probably heading down the Romantic Road from there to Munich, Dachau, castles near Reutte. Possibly Salzburg. We are then considering either Venice (as the kids would love to go there) but are thinking it might take too much travel time - we only have 11 days) - or going to Prague. We want to hit some highlights the kids will all enjoy without doing too much of the same stuff so they won't get bored. Any suggestions on "must sees" or "don't bother"?

At this point, we are thinking of the following:

DAY 1- Arrive FRA, train to Nurnburg (21 y/o daughter lives outside Nurnburg). Afternoon w/ her showing us around. DAY 2 - Around Nurnburg. DAY 3 -rent car, drive to Rothernburg - family wants to spend 1 night here, do the Night tour, etc. DAY 4- continue down RR towards Munich, stop a couple places. DAY 5-Around Munich, DAY 6-Dachau, around Munich. DAY 7-day trip from Munich to castles - or would it be worth moving everyone to stay down there 1 night? DAY 8-to Salzburg area to see city, Eagle's Nest, etc. - What else? Ice Caves? DAY 9-either stay in that area or head up to Prague for 1-2 days. DAY 10 - Stay in Prague or back to Nurnbg. Need to be back in FRA on night of DAY 11 for early morning flight the next day. Son wants to go to Italy but then we would need to eliminate the Salzburg/Prague options I think, to make it worth while to get down there. Other suggestions? Esp for the kids? Thanks.

Also - we are still trying to decide between travelling by car or train or a combination of both. Might be a bit cheaper by car but we are also concerned about weather and travelling stress-free. Is it better with the kids to have a car to get right to your destination and not worry about getting from stations to hotels, sights, etc. or will it be more relaxing on the train where everyone has more space? Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thank you.

Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:05 PM

With 5 people I would have a car the entire trip and stay in Germany & Austria only. You will have a full plate.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:09 PM

Somewhat ambitious, especially the last days with not much time left for Prague or Venice.
Maybe you can skim a day off your stay in Munich.
Prague is somewhat better to work into a driving itinerary than Venice. But still quite a treck from Salzburg. If you had the option for an open jaw US->FRA, VCE->US, Venice would be easier to incorporate...

You may what to check your planned distances on viamichelin.com to see if you will be comfortable with the driving hours of the seperate legs of your trip.

With regard to some of your questions:

DAY 7-day trip from Munich to castles - or would it be worth moving everyone to stay down there 1 night?
Probably not. The castles (you probably want to see Neuschwanstein, Linderhof, Wieskirche, and Ettal Abbey) are an easy day trip from Munich, though quite packed if you want to see and visit all of them.

DAY 8-to Salzburg area to see city, Eagle's Nest, etc. - What else? Ice Caves?
All of the above, plus the salt mines, maybe a boat trip on Königsee unless that is too old-fashioned for your kids.

Maybe you can work out this itinerary together with your daughter. Since she lives in Germany, and is probably familiar with you preferred pace and way to travel, and knows the country, she might have a good judgement if your plan will work for your family, or if you squeeze too much into those 11 days.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM

"DAY 8-to Salzburg area to see city, Eagle's Nest, etc. - What else? Ice Caves?
All of the above, plus the salt mines, maybe a boat trip on Königsee unless that is too old-fashioned for your kids."

IMO, you can't realistically do all that in one day. You could see the highlights of Salzburg itself, but I don't think there's any scope for trips out.

Generally speaking: the salt mines would be a good choice, although I've only been to the one at Hallstein, and I think there's another closer to Salzburg which you're probably thinking of. The
short bus ride out to Schloss Hellbrunn is also worth it - the 10 year old is probably just the right age to be amused by the water garden.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM

Remember that SalzBURG and ObersalzBERG, where the Eagle's Nest is, are two different places.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great comments. I am pretty sure we won't be going down to Venice but our son wants to so I said I would check it out. It just seems like too much travel time for our schedule. Prague is a possibility although I don't think we are supposed to drive there with the rental car?

I did just find out that the Eagle's Nest is closed for the season so that is out. The Salzburg area would probably be done in 2 days rather than 1 so we would spread sights out over the 2 days.

Any recommendations on places to stay in Munich, Salzburg or down near the castles?
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
jgg

I have been busy planning a similar trip for June (Munich/Prague/Cesky Krumlov/Salzburg/Fussen). I spoke with someone at Hertz, and as long as we are not renting a Mercedes or a BMW they said it is no problem to take the rental car from Germany to Prague. We will probably rent a VW minivan.

For some reason I found it very difficult to narrow down a place to stay in Munich. Either too expensive or too near the train station which many people say is not that great of an area (others say it isn't a problem). Anyway, I have chosen Hotel La Maison (http://www.hotel-la-maison.com/). Not a ton of reviews on trip advisor, but the ones that are there are good. It was recommended by a friend who now lives in Italy, but used to live in Munich.

In Salzburg we are staying at Haus am moos (http://www.ammoos.at/) which is highly recommended on tripadvisor as well as this site.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM

You kids will probably enjoy the Deutches Museum in Munich. You may want to check to see the 'open hours' for the attractions you are considering since you are going pretty early in the season. The guidebooks should be able to tell you. You might enjoy going up the Zugspitze from Garmish. It is a little on the spendy side... about 45 euros each but it is a different kind of experience.

Have you considered flying hom from Munich. Open jaw tickets are not that much more expensive and it could cut off a half day of driving back to Frankfurt.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM

Also, there is pretty corney but fun every Bavarian evening show at 7 (I think) at the Hofbrau Haus. Get your hotel to make reservations for you as it can fill up with bus loads of tourists.