Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelling in Europe. What should I expect?

Jun 29th, 1999, 09:01 PM
Laura

I'm 18 years old and am planning my graduation trip to Europe. I've narrowed the countries down to Spain, France, Italy, and Greece. I am meeting my aunt in Israel (she lives there). What I'm wondering is what kind of things are interesting? What is the weather going to be like? I will be in each country for about a week. What places are cheap but not dirty to stay at? How much of a culture shock to expect? Also, if anyone knows I would like to know a little on the Jewish Sabbath just to make sure that I don't offend anyone by doing something offensive. If anyone has any answers it would be greatly apprecieted! Thanks!

Jun 29th, 1999, 11:41 PM
Sheila

Laura, Great trip. A bit like the Grand Tour last century.

Could you tell us when you're coming? (This answer may be obvious to Americans but it isn't to me)

Someone else will have to tell you about the culture shock. Ifind it quite normal living in Europe

Do you want to know about sabbath in Israel? or everywhere else too?

Jun 30th, 1999, 04:32 AM
ilisa

I am going to detract from the European part of Laura'squestions, so please bear with me everyone. Shabbat (or the sabbath) is truly the most important day of the week in the Jewish religion. It lasts from sundown Friday night to sundown Saturday (technically you are supposed to wait until you see three stars in the sky to resume normal activity, but I gather you are not an orthodox Jew). It is a time for contemplation, prayer and relaxation. On Shabbat, Jews are not supposed to engage in any activity that constitutes work. That includes not using electricity, cooking, showering, brushing teeth, drive a car or ride in one, amongst some of the restrictions. I wouldn't worry about offending anyone at all. If you are not Jewish, you are not expected to observe Shabbat. And chances are, you won't be traipsing around the ultra-Orthodox neighborhoods during the sabbath. You are more likely to be offensive if you go to those neighborhoods and during a regular weekday and violate other laws of Judaism. I have never been to Israel, but know that it is a very holy, yet secular country. Many stores and establishments will be closed for Shabbat, however, there will be many Jews who do not observe it. If you want more details on the sabbath or other Jewish laws please email me.

Jun 30th, 1999, 03:32 PM
Laura

Wow! Thanks guys! I guess I forgot to put in a few specifics. I'll be in Israel for the last week of July and first week of August and Paris for the 2nd week of August. What is the weather going to be like? Are there going to be any festivals or events? I've been having a little trouble finding that sorta thing on the net. Thanks again!

Jun 30th, 1999, 09:09 PM
tina

I stayed by myself at the Hotel Esmeralda in Paris. Very cheap for a single (160 FF or less than $30 at 5.5FF/1$USD) and an adequate sized room. What makes it great is the location. Across the Seine from Notre Dame in the Latin Quarter. The area is very safe, central and near a huge metro/RER transfer station. Lot's of action at night so that you can feel comfortable out alone at night.

Go with an open mind and revel in the wonderful differences, even things so simple as the taste of the fruit. Make enough time for the shopping in the dept stores and eating in the local places.

In Paris the Jewish quarter is the Marais. It is a very upscale area now with a lot of occupation history. Do some reading before you go of novels that will give you local flavor. and bring paperbacks with you to fill the travel downtime.

Enjoy.

Jun 30th, 1999, 09:18 PM
wendy

Laura,
Check out the bulletin board at www.eurotrip.com
You'll get lots of information on cheap places to stay.