Travelling from Porto to Northern Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I (husband, father and mother-in-law) will be travelling to Porto this March/April where my mother-in-law is attending a conference. We will have 3 and 1/2 days in Porto and I will be planning this part later. After the conference, we will have 3 and 1/2 days (maybe 4 and 1/2) to travel elsewhere. We can venture north through Portugal and possibly northern Spain (flying out of Santiago, Bilbao or Vigo?) or loop around returning to Porto for our flight back. We like to see lots in a short amount of time, within reason, of course. For the 4 remaining nights, stay two nights in one place and one night in 2 places. Any suggestions? We like outdoor activities as well as historical sights. We like the quaint out of the way places that are special and a must see. I am just in the preliminary stages of planning and would like to plan out a basic route (especially to make sure the flights are doable).

Just as a note, 2 years ago we spent 10 days in Spain/Portugal. We arrived in Madrid, took the AVE to Seville (2 nights, visited Cordoba), drove to Lisbon though Serpa, Beja, Monsaraz and Evora (3-4 nights), spent 2-3 nights in Lisbon (visiting Sintra), and drove back to Madrid stopping in Merida. Sounds hectic, but it was a very enjoyable trip.

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 01:27 AM

If you take a route along the north coast of Spain, you might like to spend a night at Santillana del Mar, which is a medieval village pickled in time. It scores high on the quaint index and is certainly special. While you are there you could visit the nearby prehistoric cave of Altamira which has been described as the Sistine chapel of prehistoric art. You can't visit the actual cave, but they have made an exact copy next to the museum. If you like history, it doesn't come much older than this.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 04:03 AM

I assume that during your 3.5 days in Porto you will be visiting some places in northern Portugal (Braga & Guimaraes for example). Coimbra, a University town, is also definitely worth a visit.

There's a region called Mealhada (me al yada) traversed by the old Porto-Lisbon route, where one can find the best Leitao (roast suckling pig - pronounced lay tone) I have ever had the pleasure of eating. Look for roadhouses where Truckers stop to eat.

I'm probably not as adventurous as you, so given the time of year, I wouldn't stray too far east. In Spain, Santiago de Compostela is definitely worth a visit, but I also like Vigo, Baiona and la Guardia (all in Pontevedra). There are Paradors in Santiago, in Baiona and in Tuí.

If you stop in la Guardia, be sure to visit Monte Santa Tecla, a National Monument where there is a restored 300 AD Celtic (Castreño) village.

Just a few ideas ...
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:57 AM

You might be interested in my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34875899

I would do a round trip if feasible to eliminate the stiff cross-border drop-off fee. In addition, you might be able to get cheap Ryanair flights both ways to your main European hub.