Reload this Page >

Travelling from Paris to the South of France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 07:43 PM
Andrea Cartwright

We will be staying in Paris for 5 days and dropping our daughter off in Vesoul at the end of July. We would like to travel on to the South of France. Does any one have any suggestions where to go and stay? We would like to stay on the beach and/or resort.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 12:08 AM
xxx

Good luck finding any place at the beach for the end of July this year. All France is on vacation in

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 12:19 AM
randy

Try this b&b just outside of mice near the airport great price.Pierre Alliez <BR>E-mail Address(es): <BR> [email protected] <BR>Other wise try a search for b&bs france, There are several associations with owners renting directly to travelers in select riviera locations, including the one above. <BR>Hope this helps a little <BR>Randy <BR>

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 01:10 AM
mac

An advice: keep off from Marseille! It's a nest of thieves and hookers...

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Randy

Thank you for your suggestions. We will defintely look into. The only problem I am thinking about. Do you think that b&b's have enough room for a family of three? <BR>

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 09:13 PM
max

Andrea, I myself am traveling from Paris to Nice in late July.. I have been looking for many hotels... lots left and mostly affordable. Major hotels in Nice such as the Best western west-end and the Radisson SAS both 4 * have availability and can be had for less than 150$ a night. These are both great places in a great area. you can easily travel from there to many other spots on day trips. Cheers!! <BR>Maxx.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Roy Corbett

In reply to the post from Max may I add my observation as to why the two hotels mentioned have still rooms available in their peak season. We stayed at the West End in March and the room we had was a dowdy run down room that belied the impressive exterior that catches your eye upon seeing it for the first time. Not worthy of a 4* rating. As to the Radisson we initially booked but cancelled because of its location on the Promenade, quite a distance from the center and old part of town but we can not offer any insight into its condition

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Andrea Cartwright

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we are more interested in taking in Cannes. We got a confirmation at the Hotel Gray d' Albion. Has any one heard or stayed at this hotel.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Robin

Andrea, <BR> <BR>My husband and I are also going to the south of France but we're going at the end of September. What everyone has told you is right, most of France does vacation on the South of France during July however I have a suggestion that maybe you haven't tried. <BR> <BR>I also had a real difficult getting reservations at any place that I wanted to stay. We're going for two weeks and traveling from the south of France to Paris. It seemed that no matter which hotel chain I called, nothing was available however, I started e-mailing the hotels directly. Honestly, I probably e-mailed 20 different hotels and all but one had a room for me even though the 800 numbers in the USA said they were full. <BR> <BR>I'd give it a try because you might get lucky. Seemed like the 800 reservation numbers in the U.S. are really "reservation prevention numbers"! <BR> <BR>Good luck and have a wonderful time!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 12:57 AM
Andrea Cartwright

Thanks Robin, you are absolutely correct. We just recently had some luck by emailing the hotels directly and there is opening at the Gray d' Albion and hotel Majestic. Has anyone stayed at either of these hotels. This is our first trip to the Cannes so we are so unfamiliar. Any recommendations and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Elizabeth

Randy, I tried to find Pierre Alliez near Nice airport at the e-mail address you listed, but only accessed the club internet site and lots and lots of choices. Am I doing something wrong? <BR>Thanks! A nice B&B sounds great.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 11:58 AM
lilipad

this might be too late if you have already left, but in May my parents stayed at this little hotel right in old town Cannes, close to the beach - the only thing was that there was no elevator, but they carried their bags to their third floor room for them and you can see the water from the window, the prices for a double were about $60USD - here's their web site: <BR> <BR>http://www.azurene-royal-hotel.com/

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Julie

My husband and I just returned from Cannes. We stayed at the Majestic and loved it. The hotel is very elegant but it is expensive and they charge for everything extra- going to their private beach, sitting on a lounge by the pool, parking etc. The Gray d'Albion is not nearly as grand and I'm not sure it has a pool but it's a lucienne barierre hotel (like the majestic) so i'm sure it nice. Cannes was full of people on vacation and the beaches were packed but it didn't bother us at all. I'm sure that you are going to have a great time.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Andrea

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions and/or recommendations.