Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Travelling from Heathrow to Gatwick with 12 hr. layover! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travelling-from-heathrow-to-gatwick-with-12-hr-layover-632884/)

mcgouran Jul 21st, 2006 05:21 PM

Travelling from Heathrow to Gatwick with 12 hr. layover!

Hi there,
We are arriving from Canada into Heathrow at 6:30am then have to get to Gatwick for 6:30pm departure to Jersey - I think there is an express bus that runs between the airports but once I check it at Gatwick I need to think of what to do with my kids for about 10hrs - it is feasible to get back and forth into London from Gatwick??? any help is greatly appreciated!
cheers, Annie

janisj Jul 21st, 2006 07:40 PM

Yes - there are trains to/from London/Gatwick.

What time of year, have you been London before, and how old are your kids? Instead of taking them into London while jet lagged, you might consider taking a train from LGW down to Brighton.

You would wait until you arrive and decide - if it is a hot day go to Brighton for a few hours at the seaside. If it isn't such a nice day (or just cool-ish) take the train into London instead. There is left luggage at LGW so you can drop your bags there before going either direction.

But IF you are sure you'll want London - then I would go straight into town instead of to LGW. I would go to Victoria station, leave my luggage there and then head out sightseeing for a few hours. Then back to Victoria, pick up the luggage and take the train to LGW. This would cut out one extra trip to/fro.

janisj Jul 21st, 2006 07:44 PM

that should say "You could wait . . . . "

OReilly Jul 21st, 2006 08:42 PM

Hi Annie:

I have done the transfer from Heathrow to Gatwick several times and it is easy. I suggest you go straight from Heathrow to Gatwick, check in if you can, and then consider your options.

If you arrive at 0630, customs & baggage will take about 60 mins (might be less on a good day). If you are arriving on AC, you will arrive in Terminal 3, which is about a 10-15 minute walk to the central bus station. Buses run from the central station at Heathrow about every 30 mins. Bus from Heathrow to Gatwick – about 90 minutes journey, so you can get to Gatwick at about 1000, give or take 30 mins.

If you are traveling BA from Gatwick, you can check your bags in immediately and get your boarding passes for the flight to Jersey. Not sure about other airlines, but you can always store your luggage at the “left luggage” in Gatwick (I can locate it for you if you need).

If your kids are young, you might consider checking into one of the two hotels at Gatwick and just sleep (both offer special day rates at about 50% of the regular rates).

If they are older and up for it, you can take the Gatwick Express from the South terminal into London (to Victoria station – 30 mins every 30 mins) and spend the day in London. The Tower of London is always popular with kids!

If you have your boarding passes and have checked your luggage, you should be back at Gatwick at least 75 minutes before your flight.

Regards Ger

mcgouran Jul 22nd, 2006 08:40 AM

Hi there folks,
thanks for the quick responses - we have been to London before so I think my girls (aged 11, 14&16) would like to spend some time there - what is the cost of this back and forth travel - what's the cheapest options - because we arrive so early I think that maybe it would be better to head to Gatwick first to check bags etc. so I don't have to rush at the other end - how much are tickets for the bus between the airport - then how much is the return rail journey from Gatwick to London return - any help is greatly appreciated!
cheers,
Annie

RRT25 Jul 22nd, 2006 04:42 PM

It is very easy to take the train from Gatwick into Victoria Station. From there why not take the tube to see the London Eye and Aquariaum. It is across the Thames river from Big Ben and Parliament. You will all love it. And even a McDonalds for the kids to get a bite to eat.

gertie3751 Jul 22nd, 2006 05:03 PM

Be sure to specify 'day return' for your ticket to Victoria. If you use Southern Trains it's cheaper than Gatwick Express and you can ask for a One Day Travel Card to be added to the LGW-Victoria ticket for just £1 extra per person. If you tell them there are 4 of you travelling as a family you will probably get a 'group discount' too.

Robespierre Jul 22nd, 2006 05:07 PM

Might I suggest:

* Ride the Tube to London
* Check your bags at the train station
* See some of London
* Reclaim luggage
* Ride the train¹ to Gatwick
* Take off for Jersey

Depending on your kids' ages, they might be able to travel into and all around London for free. See: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...eetravel.shtml

¹ With a Southern Railway DaySave pass, the four of you can get to Gatwick for £20 or less. http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=122

TimS Jul 22nd, 2006 05:11 PM

National Express coach directly from Heathrow to Gatwick. 18GBP for ages 16 and older. 9 GBP for children 3-15. See www.nationalexpress.com.

Express Class Day Return tickets on the Gatwick Express cost 14.20 GBP. Valid anytime from London Victoria & 09:35 from Gatwick Airport. These tickets are available anytime on weekends and Bank Holidays.

Robespierre Jul 22nd, 2006 05:29 PM

By the way, the Southern DaySave pass allows unlimited travel throughout their network (peak restrictions apply), so if you should decide to go to Gatwick first, all four of you could ride into London and back for £20 total.

Tube/bus Travelcards will cost £6.30 per adult, and £1 each for the kids. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...ids-for1.shtml So if you choose the into-London-first option, £34.60 will be your total outlay for transport.

TimS Jul 22nd, 2006 05:49 PM

The Southern DaySave pass won't work in this case because it's not valid during the hours this family will need to travel from Victoria to Gatwick. However, they can buy Southern Flybytrain tickets (no time restrictions) here: www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=72. Adult single is 9.00. Adult day return is 12.00. Child single is 4.50. Child day return is 6.00.

Robespierre Jul 22nd, 2006 06:08 PM

Huh? Southern DaySave is valid up to 16:45 on weekdays from London stations. The op's flight is at 18:30, so leaving two hours before then should work perfectly.

The pass would <u>not</u>, however, allow them to go into town before 10:00 if they start from Gatwick.

TimS Jul 22nd, 2006 09:36 PM

Robespierre is right. I misread the time restrictions and thought they started before 16:45. Sorry.