Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelling by train in Italy this summer? DON'T FORGET ...

Jun 23rd, 2001, 02:23 AM
SteveJames

On a recent visit I saw a number of tourists - mainly Americans - fined on Italian trains for having 'unvalidated' tickets.

N.B. *DON'T FORGET* to 'validate' your ticket in the yellow date-stamp machine on the platform BEFORE boarding the train.

An 'unvalidated' ticket is worthless - and, from what I saw, F.S. rail-staff have no mercy on foreigners who don't know the system ...

Steve

Jun 23rd, 2001, 04:07 AM
sera

On the other hand, I was on a Naples-Rome Eurostar train in first class a couple of weeks ago and they never collected our tickets! Same on train from Rome station to airport. But, still, good to be prepared.

Jun 23rd, 2001, 06:54 AM
bob

If you forget to validate your ticket and voluntarily seek out a conductor to validate it on the train, there is a charge of 10,000 lire. If the conductor catches you with an unvalidated ticket, the penalty is 30,000 lire plus a charge of 10,000 lire to have it validated for a total of 40,000 lire. Sometimes conductors won't impose these charges but don't count on it.

Jun 23rd, 2001, 11:46 AM
claire

Question about the validation of Italian train tickets. I just received my tickets and my seat reservations for a couple of long train trips in Italy later this summer. There are two pieces of paper, of course, as the seat reservations are a separate item. Do we have to stamp/validate both? If not, which one? Thanks!

Jun 23rd, 2001, 12:00 PM
Bob

Only the ticket itself, not the seat reservation, need be validated. The whole reason for the validation is to ensure that the ticket isn't used more than once (unvalidated tickets are good for two months after they are issued). Since the seat reservation is only good for a specific train on a specific date, no validation of it is necessary.

Jun 24th, 2001, 07:44 AM
claire

Thanks, Bob! I'd hate to have to venture forth without this forum!

Jun 24th, 2001, 12:24 PM
-------

Good reminder. I've travelled on trains when the conductor never checked my ticket. OR sometimes, they're ever vigilant & have had to show my ticket several times.

Jun 24th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Diane

Travelled from Santa Margherita to Antibes by train. Remembered to have the ticket stamped before boarding. Did NOT remember to have it stamped again at the connection point. Of course, that is the only time during our entire trip that we encountered a conductor. And since we were leaving Italy and heading to France, we had no lire left. She accepted what was the equivalent of $10 for two people in French francs.