Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelling between Milan & Florence: Best Route and What to do Along the Way!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Chicky

Greetings!<BR>I have never been to Italy, and am just starting my research. I am planning on accompanying my husband on a business trip in March. We will spend a Thursday/Friday in Milan and the following Monday/Tuesday in Florence. What is the best method of transfer - train or rental car, or is air available? What should we see/do along the way? Any restaurant or hotel recommendations in either city? Must do activities? Thanks in advance for any help. It is much appreciated!<BR>

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Chicky

Please forgive my ignorance. I've done a search and checked a map, but can't seem to put it together.<BR>Is Sienna/Tuscany the region between Milan and Florence? Is that where that fellow &quot;Davio&quot; does his tours? If so to the above, then we should definitely drive. Any clue how long that would be? If not, it appears we can fly between the two cities. I suppose that would be the most efficient. But would it be prop planes or jets? Does anybody have a clue that could start me out on the right direction?<BR>

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 03:51 AM
Cristina

Florence (Firenze is the proper name) is in Tuscany. It is south of Milano and north of Siena (note 1 &quot;n&quot The drive is around 4 hours. You can take the A1 (major freeway). There are some good online mapping programs. Google it and see whta you get.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Karen

Hi Chicky,<BR><BR>I wouldn't fly. It's not necessary. The train takes about 3 hours between these 2 cities and you can look at the scenery. Check this website for details:<BR><BR>http://www.fs-on-line.com/home/en/index.html<BR><BR>The Tuscan countryside is beautiful, so a drive over the weekend might be very nice as well. Check www.autoeurope.com for car rental information. I haven't been up to Milan, so I don't really know what's on the way, but I'm sure someone else can help in that area.<BR><BR>Good luck and happy travels!<BR><BR>Karen

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Alice Twain

You might also split you train trip in two pieces and spend part of the day visiting Bologna or Parma. Both are lovely cities and well worth a visit. Bologna is bigger and has a wider city center, wile Parma is slightly smaller, but both are wonderful.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Chicky

Thank you all! This definitely helps, and will allow me to start putting my plans together.