Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Travelling between Avignon and Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travelling-between-avignon-and-paris-274240/)

Bonnie Nov 18th, 2002 06:36 PM

Travelling between Avignon and Paris

We are spending a week in Avignon and then will make our way to Paris to catch our flight home. We leave Avignon on Saturday and catch our flight home on Monday. We have toured Paris so don't particulary want to head there. Thought it might be fun to spend the time slowly working our way to the airport. Our flight leaves at noon so don't want to be too far from the airport on Sunday night. Where would be a good place or places to spend Saturday and Sunday night so that we can get to the airport in plenty of time. We would probably catch a train. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Rex Nov 19th, 2002 03:37 AM

I am not all that familiar with the best of Bourgogne, so this is as much &quot;topping&quot; as anything. But I think that Dijon, Beaune and the surrounding area would meet your criteria.<BR><BR>Alternatively, you could go further away from Paris, and take advantage of the cheap flights back to Paris on www.airlibexpress.com (but keep in mind that you have to allow time for the Orly-CDG transfer).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

up Nov 19th, 2002 10:32 AM

topping, for Bonnie<BR>

uncle sam Nov 19th, 2002 11:06 AM

Lyon is a big winner and is on the train route from Avignon to Paris.<BR><BR>Lyon has arguably the best food in France. <BR><BR>You could leave Avignon (TGV) in the morning on Saturday and be in Lyon one hour and 10 minutes later. <BR><BR>Spend Saturday and all day Sunday in Lyon and take evening train to Paris. You MUST take TGV train to Paris, about 2 hours ) or it will take about 6 to 7 hours.<BR><BR>Lyon old town is a great place to visit.<BR><BR>US

Buddy Nov 19th, 2002 11:11 AM

I can't believe I agree with Rex. Guess there is<BR> always a first time for everything.<BR>Beaune is a fun town along with Dijon.<BR>Have a great time.

Christina Nov 19th, 2002 12:38 PM

There are really only two logical places to stay on that route, I'd say -- Lyon or Macon -- if you mean you want a city on the TGV line in-beween Avignon and Paris/CDG. I'd stay in Lyon a couple days unless you've seen that or what something different and then Macon would be okay for such a short time. I haven't stayed there, just perused what there is there and it sounds okay for a day. Macon is one of my most favorite wines. The only other stop on the TGV is a place I know nothing about but don't think it would be worth considering -- Le Creusot. I don't believe Dijon or Beaune is on the TGV line from Lyon, although you could get there by transferring. <BR><BR>I'm not sure if you are thinking of staying far outside Paris and then taking a train into CDG on the same morning as your flight? I'm not sure I would do such a thing, myself, as you will have to be at CDG by about 10 am latest, so that would mean a very early departure on a train from somewhere. Well, I guess if you get a train to CDG and don't mind getting up super early for a 7 am train, that could work, actually, and avoid moving hotels once more for a simple overnight near the airport.<BR><BR>If you want info on Macon, see www.macon-tourism.com There is lots available on Lyon.

jules Nov 19th, 2002 01:31 PM

<BR>Christina: remember that the TGV from Avignon to CDG has a slightly different route than the one to Gare de Lyon.<BR>The only stops are Valence, Lyon &amp; Marne la Vall&eacute;e (Disneyland).<BR><BR>Lyon would be a great stopover, but you would have to leave there on sunday evening. The first TGV to CDG leaves Lyon a bit before 8 to arrive CDG at 10 AM. That's cutting it close.

lynlor Nov 19th, 2002 03:54 PM

If you are staying in Lyon during the weekend, they have half off rates on many of the hotel rooms. <BR><BR>Lyon is great city for food, people watching, strolling around. It is easy to navigate by foot.<BR><BR>There are many wonderful restaurants outside of the city, also.<BR>A very special one is Troisgros located about one hour by train or car from Lyon. It is across the street from the train station in Roanne. It is a three star Relais and Chateaux and my absolute favorite. The food is superb and the lodging very beautiful.<BR><BR>There is no place to mention Troisgros on rants annd raves, so I will mention it here.<BR>

uncle sam Nov 19th, 2002 04:09 PM

If you do get to Lyon be sure to go to old Lyon and look for the Irish pub on the main street. You cannot miss it.<BR><BR>The manager is a good ole boy from Texas and is married to a French lady that got him to return to her home town while she finisehes her grad school. <BR><BR>Only thing bad about the dude is that he went to A&amp;M, but heck we'll forgive him that little sin.<BR><BR>My wife and I spent a good bit of time in that little Irish pub on 9 -12-14.<BR><BR>It was nice to know that after 9-11 there was a great place to feel at home while we were so far away!<BR><BR>US

up top Nov 19th, 2002 07:31 PM

ttt<BR>

Bonnie Nov 19th, 2002 07:38 PM

Thanks so much to everyone for your help. Think I would feel better if we stay in Lyon on Saturday and then head toward CDG late Sunday and spend the night in a hotel there so that we don't have any problems getting to the airport on time.

Christina Nov 20th, 2002 10:46 AM

okay, thanks Jules -- I guess I didn't know that as I've only taken it into Paris. That pretty much does leave only Lyon as a possibility for the TGV to CDG.

jules Nov 20th, 2002 11:18 AM

<BR>Bonnie: there are TGV's from Lyon to CDG almost every hour on Sunday evening. <BR><BR>Christina: I should re-phrase my earlier post: the route is the same (except for the very last part of course which stays East of Paris), the stops are different.