Reload this Page >

Travelling and tax refunds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 12:38 PM
George W.

My fellow Americans, how many of you are going to spend your tax refund -- intended to jumpstart the US economy -- overseas?

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Book Chick

Definitely I will. George, there was no letter with or notation on check stating it must be saved or spent within the U.S.A. Also, I think we need to re-pay the French for the assistance they rendered to us during our revolution, & my October trip will give me the chance to do so. (Does "General Lafayette" ring a bell?) <BR>BC

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 12:54 PM
ALW

Sadly, I am going to be using my (federal) tax refund to...pay my (state) taxes. Oh joy.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Susan

I'm thinking about sending my straight to the Social Security fund where I might need it later (and it probably won't be there -- thanks George).

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 03:25 PM
John

I sure am! The $300 check arrived yesterday and my plane for Scotland leaves in just over a week. Perfect timing! Unfortunately, our economy won't see a dime of it.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 03:39 PM
JOdy

Mine hasn't arrived yet,,, but I too will be spending it to bolster the French economy!!!Sorry,GWB. And if you hit my SS payment watch out BOY!!!!!!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 03:43 PM
Lauren

My huge (sarcastic, sarcastic) tax refund will do a U-turn right back to the Federal Government for 2001 taxes. <BR> <BR>So much for GWB's plan to fix all that is wrong with America with a tax cut, but this is not a political board.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 04:48 PM
Betsy

Yep, we're spending ours jumpstart the economy in Italy!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 04:51 PM
StCirq

Mine's gone to pay the September mortgage on the house in France. Thanks, George. I knew I could count on you.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Agnes

Gee, StCirq, I would have thought you would have used the money to improve the electrical system in that house--or at least put in a new septic system.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Mallory

Too bad you aren't spending it to air condition that villa of yours. We're SO tired of hearing you whine about the heat during your month there year after year.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 05:41 PM
StCirq

Agnes, dear, the electrical and septic systems are brand new, and Mallory, darling, there ARE no "villas" in the Dordogne, and haven't you heard? Air conditioning in rural France doesn't exist. We've never whined about the heat - the rain, maybe - and neither has anyone else. <BR>But thanks so for your thoughts.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Mallory

Mellon, Hon, you must be suffering from middle age memory, or lack thereof. Your complaints regarding your discomfort and the HEAT are legendary and you know it.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 06:28 PM
QueenofCant

Actually, StCirq is Queen of Complainers. It's too hot, her tenants are crazy, the kids' fancy private school costs too much, and people don't agree with her 100% of the time. <BR> <BR>Life is tough, ain't it on two six figure salaries plastered all over the boards? <BR> <BR>Mellon you must be getting a bit plastered yourself from spending entirely too much time insulting people online--with all your alias hangers on.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 06:31 PM
mary

my 600 is sitting in the bank just waiting to be withdrawn for my thanksgiving week trip to paris. btw- we will be coming home into chicago on thanksgiving day. is it really going to be a zoo in o'hare? anyone been there on turkey day?

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 07:56 PM
JP

Actually, Turkey Day is one of the easiest days to travel. Most everyone has arrived where they're going and the airports are like a ghost town.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 08:23 AM
xaimi

Mary, Going to Ohare in a month for trip to Ireland. Is it difficult to get around.? Turning in rental car. Will drop off passengers at terminal 5 and then turn in car.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 09:43 AM
anon

"...I'm so absolutlely delirious about my refund - gee, $300 - the world is my oyster...What's that George?...Bend over and grab my ankels?...."

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:21 PM
mary

xaimi-here is url that should help you with the rental car. we never drive up to o'hare-we always take a regional bus. <BR>jp- thanks <BR> <BR>http://www.ohare.com/ohare/ground_tr...nd_rental.shtm