Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelled All my Life: What did I learn?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Julie

Reflecting back on many, many years of travelling world wide, and what was the most important lesson, here is what I have learned. 1) That people, world wide, are pretty much the same, 2) that good manners and caring will stand you in good stead anywhere in the world, 3) that there are many GOOD foods, just try it, 4) that one should go "off the beaten path, 5) learn a few words of the language 6) be not quick to judge everything by our standardsm 7) Do not talk too loudly, 8) pack lightly, 9) remember to take anything that you can't do without, and 10) leave good instructions at home with the family in case you never return, and 11) take lots of pictures.<BR><BR>Anyone else care to add their perspective?

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 01:57 AM
Tom

Of all the rules listed above, I follow number 11 the least. The best pictures are always only in your head.<BR><BR>If you want other people to see the places you've been lucky enough to visit, then persuade them to go there in person. Even better, help them get there or take them.<BR>

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 02:33 AM
Judy

There is always something new, interesting to see in any place,even after many times visits.<BR><BR>Don't pack anything you value,there is great chance to lose it.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 09:26 AM
andy

One thing I have learned is that it is often worthwhile to go back to places you have visited, especially if it has been awhile, and see what's different, but don't expect to have the same feeling or experience..it never happens. I visited Ireland in 1986 and will return this summer. I am sure there will be much to compare and comment upon.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 10:47 AM
ja

That life is an adventure, if you view it that way.<BR>ja

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Debbie

That the journey never ends............

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 06:36 PM
hamlet

I agree with all 11 of Julie's "lessons," and I rank the last as one of the more important ones. Why? I'm not a bad photographer, but my pictures will never do the subjects or my memories justice, yet the pictures I have of people and places are extremely precious to me. Over the years I've travelled on my own and with my parents and with friends and I always took lots of pictures. My father did most of the picture taking too and was rarely in photos. On a given trip he'd be in a fraction of the shots. <BR><BR>He died 5 months ago and I was going through albums to pull out pictures to display in the funeral home. Turns out most of what we had was from his travels. It was and is a great comfort for me and my family to have pictures of him enjoying himself on vacation in so many places. We usually just broke out the camera for special family gatherings and when us kids were growing up. As time went by, the camera only came out for trips.<BR><BR>I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am to have those vacation pictures of my father.