Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling within Italy: Rome, Vernazza, Florence, Venice, Naples, Positano, Capri

Search

Traveling within Italy: Rome, Vernazza, Florence, Venice, Naples, Positano, Capri

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, we are planning to see all those towns, not necessarily stay in them all, but travel between them. We will not have a car, so trains, air, bus and ferries look like our options. What has been your preference between these cities? I know the train network is extensive, but I have read that buses and ferries can be preferable in some situations. [FYI:we only bring one, carry-on luggage bag each; two of us; young budget travelers].<BR><BR>Sept.4th:Rome to Vernazza (preferably an afternoon; I'm even considering a night train, arriving early the next morning--no hotel $ that night)<BR>Sept.6th:Vernazza to Florence for the day(round-trip)<BR>Sept.8th:Vernazza to Venice<BR>Sept.9th:Venice to Positano(I think we are going to book a flight on AlpiEagles for a flight to Naples, then find a way to get to Positano)<BR>Sept.11thositano to Pompei for a day trip<BR>Sept.12thositano to Capri for a day trip<BR>Sept.13thositano to Rome(probably via Naples again)<BR><BR>I know that we are not dedicating nearly enough time to what we should, but we don't have any choice--this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip. We want to sample it all and come back one day and do the towns we liked properly.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Forget this: We are considering the Italy Train Flexi-Pass for Youths: $160each<BR><BR>Think it would be worth it? I know that some of the trains are ES, so I don't know if it would save us much in the end or not?
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:20 PM

You might get a little more efficiency from the trip if you go directly from Rome to Venice, then back to Vernazza, then on to Positano before you return to Rome for departure. With this kind of itinerary, you'll need to squeeze every hour out of your travel time, as you obviously recognize. Good luck.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, Wayne, we considered that option, but the flight is only $15 and it is only between Venice and Naples, not Pisa or Florence and Naples--therefore our delimma.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 01:40 AM

Beckonbecky - A few thoughts:<BR><BR>1. The night train arrives Vernazza at 04.43a.m. - so may or may not be ideal.<BR><BR>2. I wouldn't recommend Florence as a day-trip from Vernazza, - it's a 6.5-7 hour round trip.<BR><BR>However, with an early start you COULD do it EN ROUTE to Venice.<BR><BR>3. Vernazza - Venice is a 6-7 hour ride.<BR>If you don't decide to visit Florence en route as above, it might be better as an overnight journey.<BR><BR>4. Positano-Pompei is an easy day-trip by bus to META, then train (Circumvesuviana) to Pompei Scavi.<BR><BR>5. There are direct Positano-Capri ferries/hydrofoils in September - weather permitting.<BR><BR>6. There is a Positano-Rome bus service if you prefer that option.<BR><BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ...<BR><BR>Steve
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:04 AM
ira

Hi becky,<BR><BR> Don't understand the Vernazza/Florence/Vernazza loop. As Steve_James suggests, Florence would be better as a stop enroute.<BR><BR> Finally, you indicate that you will be coming back to Italy one day. Why not slow down and see the North properly this time and go South next time?
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

I didn't realize Florence was such a long trip away! It might be best to do it en route to Venice. I will check the board to see if we can leave our luggage at the train station and make reservations for the museums.<BR><BR>Steve--thanks for your helpful tips. Can you tell me what META is? Also can you tell me more about the bus trip from Positano to Rome? Do you know where I could find out more about it? I wonder how long the trip takes? I would like something simple. We don't mind riding the bus back, if it will save us the confusion/hassle of switching between multiple means of transport.<BR><BR>I have read good things about some limo services, but they look somewhat expensive--compared to trains/buses. We are going really cheap.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 06:41 AM

Becky - Meta is a small town on the bus route between Positano and Sorrento (- about 25 mins from Positano). <BR><BR>You can catch the train to Pompei Scavi from Meta (- it's the nearest Circumvesuviana railway station to Positano). <BR><BR>This saves time rather than continuing to Sorrento.<BR><BR>[Meta Station is a 3-min walk downhill from the main square where the bus stops]<BR><BR>..............................<BR><BR>Th e Positano-Rome bus service operator is MAROZZI.<BR>It leaves Positano at 16.15, arriving Rome approx. 21.00<BR><BR>(Timetables may change - so check nearer the time).<BR><BR>The fare is approx. EURO 18.00<BR><BR>[This bus also picks up at Pompei - so you could conceivably visit Pompei on your last day and catch it from there to shorten your journey time to Rome]<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 07:06 AM

You can also take a train to Naples and then use the car service company to travel to Positano which you can use as a base on Amalfi coast. WE used [email protected] last year and were very pleased with the driver (it is operated by the father and son - our driver was Giovanni the father). It is about $80 one way.