Traveling with older parents and young children to the North of Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2012, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip to the North of Spain this summer and we are encountering that most places we want to stay at do not have air conditioning. Coming from South Florida where A/C is a necessity we are beginning to wonder if we will be comfortable without it. Please advice?
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 03:18 PM

I don't know where in the north you considering, but there is quite a range of climates through the region. A/C is not common in most places except for some of the newer hotels and those that have undergone renovation. If you're considering a rural hotel or country home, finding one with A/C is going to be difficult and impossible in some locations.

The north coast (Green Spain), hasn't ever had much of a need for A/C, so you will have limited success in finding someplace equiped with A/C, but there are a some.

It does get humid in and around Barcelona during the summer months, but I wouldn't compare it to South Florida. And if you're staying out on the coast, you shouldn't need it.
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply.
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 08:00 PM

I live on the northern coast of Spain, near Bilbao, and know nobody who has AC at home. Absolutely no need, it would be a waste.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 09:13 AM

I have visited Spain- Madrid,Santiago de Compostela and San Sebastian every summer for the past 10 years.The first year I had no A/C and suffered! Never again! Many of my Spanish Friends still do not use A/C-they really believe that they will get sick!!! I know that I need it especially after a day sight seeing-why take the chance especially as of late the summers are just plain getting hoter-global warming?!
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 10:24 AM

Have lived in San Sebastián and visited in summer almost every year since the late 80's. Can't remember to have missed A/C.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 11:24 AM

If you are staying in the countryside away from noise, sleeping with the windows open may do you just fine. If you are booking accommodations in popular towns, and need the windows open to keep the bedroom cool enough for sleep, you might need to consider whether street noise is going to keep you awake. Spain is culture of nightlife and enjoying outdoor space.

I don't know exactly where you are going, but mosquitoes are present in places I've been along the Basque coast. If you don't have air conditioning, you might want to make sure windows have screens.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 01:14 PM

You'll find mosquitoes anywhere there are farms animals (cows, sheep, pigs, etc.), so yes, they are common in the Basque country. What is not common are screens on windows, although we have encountered more places with screens the last couple of years.

The summers have been getting warmer along the coast the last 10 years (except for the last two when it was cool and wet in Donostia in July). We even went so far as to pick up three fans during a shopping trip to Biarritz a few summers ago, leaving them a our rental in Hondarribia should anyone need them in the future.

If you want something generally warm and dry, and still want to be in the norht, then head to the Rioja or southern Navarra in July and August, no mosquitoes as long as you're not staying along the Ebro.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 01:29 PM

Most people don't think of farm animals when they think of San Sebastian, but it has mosquitoes. It is something to check out about your destinations.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 06:56 PM

Three years ago we rented an apartment near Viviero in Northern Spain during the first week in September. We were comfortable without A/C and there was really no humidity. I think it might depend which month in the Summer you will be there, whether you will be in a busy town with lots of street noise, and exactly where in Northern Spain you will be.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 07:24 PM

We have friends with vineyards and farms within 15 minutes of the center of San Sebastian-Donostia, Bilbao and Pamplona, all have mosquitoes and a few flies, but you learn to deal with them, don't turn on the lights at night to attract the little buggers. During the day they are not a problem, too many little farm animals to prey upon.

On second thought, I cannot remember every encountering a mosquito in Pamplona once you are away from the immediate area of the Arga River. It’s much too dry for them.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 11:43 PM

I see we have two threads on this subject:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...h-of-spain.cfm
We do need to know where in Northern Spain you are going.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 05:33 AM

If you are a certain type of person, mosquitoes find you tastier than others, and the only way to be sure of not getting bitten is repellant, window screens or shut windows while you sleep -- and shutting the windows often means needing air conditioning. One of the difficulties in Spain is the very long twilight, and the late dinner hour.

But some people are not bothered by mosquitoes and Northern Spain does have quite a variety of terrain, and some places people think of as quite urban do indeed have farms and wetlands as part of their environment. So hard to advise without knowing your needs and where you are going.