Traveling with kids to Europe for 2 weeks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping to get an idea for our trip that we are planning to take this Summer first week of August. We would like to go to Italy near beach, so kids can have some fun. Ideally we would like to rent a house for 4 adults and 3 children (ages: 8, 6 and 4). We would be very interested to visit some site seeing as well. Please help.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 08:39 AM

The beaches in Italy, that I have seen, are not like Carribbean beaches. They generally don't have nice white sand beaches and probably aren't ideal for swimming for young children.

Have you considered renting a house in Tuscany with a pool? There are lots of site seeing opportunities in Tuscany.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 08:50 AM

You should be aware that this is prime vacation time for europeans and everyplace will be mobbed. Italy will be hot - high 90s and humid many places - and there are quite a few places (esp private villas) that don't have AC.

Beaches are mostly gravel or pebbles verus sand and often small/narrow - or in towns - so I'm not sure he best places for small kids.

I would agree to find a villa with a pool and AC and do sightseeing from there.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, regarding Tuscany what would you recommend? How about Portugal any good little villages with nice beach? Ideally, what we would like to do is to stay in one place and take day tours to near towns/villages for a sight seeing. In the past we did went to Rome, Florence and Venice. To be more exact we went to Rome 4 times Absolutely love the city.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM

If you're interested in Portugal then ask the editors (click on yellow triangle) to add a Portugal tag to this thread so folks with information on that country can respond.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 11:43 AM

For Portugal check out Nazare, just south of Porto and a primo beach resort that is also a short hop from a slew of intriguing sites - such as Batalha Monastery, Coimbra, Porto and Obidos for starters. Much cheaper as well than Italy and in this part not so seering hot in August.