Traveling with food allergies

Apr 21st, 2005, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Traveling with food allergies

Hello Everyone -

My 10 yr old daughter has nut allergies. She always has an EpiPen (adrenaline) with her as well as benedryl. We had a special card made from selectwisely.com to translate from english to italian her allergies.

Does anyone have any experience traveling with food allergies? I'm trying to think of everything I can to be totally prepared.

Mahalo!
Apr 21st, 2005, 11:11 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34515821
Hi
there have been numerous threads on this subject. I brought one up for you, but the best way to get advice while you wait for answers on this thread, is to type food allergies into the Search box. Good luck!
Apr 21st, 2005, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Scarlett! I have been doing a lot of research on this subject and just wanted some more piece of mind I guess.
Apr 21st, 2005, 02:47 PM
mf3

My daughter is also 10 and allergic to peanuts. We have travelled in Italy in the past and are actually going back this summer. It does not seem like there are a lot of nuts in Italy. She ate lots of gelato and everybody in restaurants was very nice when we told them about the allergy.
Do not worry..
Apr 21st, 2005, 03:00 PM

Mf3 - Peanuts are legumes not nuts. Some people allergic to peanuts are also allergic to other legumes- beans, peas, etc. If that is a problem then you would need to watch for the many bean dishes in Italy.
Apr 21st, 2005, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

mf3 -
Thank you. I really needed to hear that. Yesterday my daughter had an allergic reacion - her eye was red and started to swell. I immediately gave her benedryl. That helped right away. This morning her eye was fine but when she rubbed it - it swelled again. So ... took her into the Dr. this morning and Dr. confirmed she is having a reaction to "something" we have been going crazy tracing back everything she ate and touched yesterday that might have caused this. Dr. advised us to keep her on benedryl for 24 hrs and then go to Claritin for a while to keep things calm - Especially while
traveling. Of course Dr. would like to come along too!
So - thanks again for your reassuring post.
Stella
Apr 21st, 2005, 04:34 PM

Stella - I also have a 10 yr old with peanut & tree nut allergies. We went to Austria & London last summer. We don't speak much German so I had a German teacher write out the allergy statement on cards. I also checked out an Austrian cookbook from the library SO I would know foods that would, at least, typically have nuts. You might want to take along extra snacks that you know are okay.
Apr 21st, 2005, 04:45 PM

I'm wondering if a European would even know what a "peanut" was since they are called ground nuts there? You might want to have your translation card read tree nuts and ground nuts.
Apr 21st, 2005, 05:39 PM

There was a thread not too long ago, talking about a person being allergic to peanut dust. So if she is terribly sensitive, be sure that they don't serve peanuts on the plane ( or at least to your row)
I am recently allergic to shrimp, I always have the Benadryl with me, I cannot imagine how hard it is with peanuts!
Good luck!
Apr 21st, 2005, 06:11 PM

I have also heard that many people who are allergic to peanuts are also allergic to peanut oil so they have to find out what kind of oil is used to prepare foods and what kind is in the salad dressing. Just a thought although I'm sure you have it all covered.
Apr 21st, 2005, 06:11 PM

Stella - (I'm another one with the 10 yr old peanut/tree nut allergy child)you got me thinking, last year in Austria, we ended up eating several times in pizza/pasta places, mainly because that's what appealed to all. We did not have any problems. Seems like Italian food could be the easiest to get around nuts & peanuts, especially plain pasta with a tomato sauce. I actually had a conversation today with an adult friend with food allergies concerning eating in restuarants & she says she, if in doubt, asks the waiter to ask the chef the ingredients & has had a waiter run from the kitchen to stop her from eating something. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:12 AM
mf3

I agree that you have to be careful with peanut oil because that will cause allergic reactions. However, Italians use mainly Olive Oil. I agree with the pasta, pizza safe alternatives. Italians are generally very friendly especially with kids. Do not hesitate to ask, in most cities and restaurants people speak English. Again I am sure it will all be ok. usually when travelling, we also try to rent houses/ appartments, it is easier when you can cook the meals. I would not trust the food they give on airplanes and pack snacks instead.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:41 PM

Re:

'I'm wondering if a European would even know what a peanut is since they call them ground nuts there'

I'm English, and we call peanuts peanuts.

Ground nuts would mean nuts that have been put in a blender (e.g. ground almonds have a flour-like texture). As for tree nuts - ?????.